GO!

Apartment Dog

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 6:11pm PST 
I'm looking for a medium sized apartment dog. I'm asking you Whippet owners out there if a Whippet would be a good choice? I really don't have much time to exercise the dog (only 20-30 minutes a day). Would that be enough for a Whippet? Are there any other considerations I should take before getting this breed? I'm really interested in this breed and I thank you guys in advanced for the help smile .
[notify]
Jack

Barked: Fri Dec 19, '08 4:04pm PST 
I have an 1100sq ft apartment, although he is only allowed on the bottom half, so figure 550 sq ft. He has no problem being in an apartment, although he does have an IG to play with. Just make sure you take him out for a walk or 2 a day, one at least 30 minutes and he should be fine.
[notify]
Indiana- Jones

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '09 1:58pm PST 
I live in an apt and my whippets dojust fine. Things you should know they are wonderful dogs but they do have seperation anxiety. They want to be around you all the time and the more time you spend with them the more they will flourish. They are also a social breed. They like to have other canine companions. After I got my second whippet the first really came out of his shell and started to enjoy life so much more. They are pretty easily trained and love to do training exercises. They can and will run very fast, so they shouldn't be trusted off the leash until you are absolutely certain they will listen to you. The only medical issues i have had is senstive stomachs but that is an easily treated/ preventable problem. Overall these dogs are wonderful apt dogs, they just need time and affection, and I promise if you get one you will be addicted for life smile.
[notify]