GO!

Puppy Weim needs to gain lbs.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dar

Lover of June- Bugs

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 8:29am PST 
My mom feeds me Eukanueba, cottage cheese and a little bit of blue buffalo dog food and I still won't eat very much food, I am not food motivated and will piece here and there. The vet says that I am too skinny for a pup my age! I need to bulk up a little bit. Anyone have any suggestions?
[notify]
♥Mila- ♥

Pretty girl

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 11:57am PST 
Dar,
eukanuba is not good food,
blue buffalo is much better,
I don't feed neither one,
as you can see on my picture, thats what we feed...we do the rotatiional diet so we don't get bored with our food. whatever we have for breakfast is never the same for dinner.
I suggest you adding canned food to your pups dry kibble, like
Evangers 100% meats, or hand packed like the chicken wings.
Fromm, shredded duck
just a thought!

Edited by author Mon Oct 20, '08 11:59am PST

[notify]
Dar

Lover of June- Bugs

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 12:47pm PST 
Thank you. Can my mommy get Evangers say at petsmart?
[notify]

♥Mila- ♥

Pretty girl

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 2:07pm PST 
no they don't sell it at petsmart.
here is a link to their website and you could do a store locator that is closest to you

http://www.evangersdogfood.com/

Evangers hand packed are really yummy and so are the game meats...
good luck!!
[notify]
beaucepheus

beaux beaux

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 9:29am PST 
You can check out my bio. I was 56 lbs. when my mom rescued me. I kept loose stools for 3 to 4 mos. She tried everything. She fixed me whole wheat bread with yogurt and cooked oatmeal. She added supplements and gradually added dry food. Now he weighs 96 lbs. He strictly eats Diamond naturals lamb & rice. His coat is wonderful and finally healthy.
[notify]
Lucy

Eccentric to the- max

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 5:04am PST 
My pup is eight months old and only weighs 18kgs we have added chicken mince to her diet it seems to help any other suggestions?
[notify]
Baxter

I am a ssnapping- turtle

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 6:36pm PST 
My Mommy and Daddy gave me Nutrical when I was a puppy. It is a paste that they put in my food. Mommy said it was a supplement to make sure I got all my nutrients. She also soaked my food in warm water to make it easier for me to eat it cause I did not like food that was too crunchy. Mommy buyed all this at PetSmart. Daddy also mixes canned food (Beneful) with our dog food sometimes cause my brother Strider is picky.

Mom says weim puppies are often small esp if they are growing. Ask your vet if you are underweight. You want to balance a healthy diet without getting fat like my big brother Riley. Then you have to have diet dog food (and it is bad for your joints)
[notify]
Hunter

Mama's Boy

Barked: Wed Aug 26, '09 9:21pm PST 
Everybody has a favorite dog food & it's difficult to find anyone that agrees on what is healthy for a dog. There are disadvantages to all foods, including premiums foods & less expensive ones. The important thing is that your dog is healthy & enjoys his food.
Weims are very active, so they need a food high in carbs & protein (just not too high). You could try dietary supplements like Dyne, mixing canned food w/ dry food, cutting back the amount of exercise he gets, neuter him if he's not already (it can help w/ weight gain), having him tested for any medical conditions (like Addison's), or switching foods until you find one he loves. But the truth is, there are just some weims that are taller & leaner looking than others & that have higher metablolisms. Two of my weims are broad chested & of average height & one is tall & lean (though he's gained over 15 lbs in the past couple of months).
[notify]
Abby

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 1:47pm PST 
i feed my vizsla and weim iams large breed and they love it, my friend has a pointer and thats what he feeds her nd she loves it to

my vet recommends it over science diet as it has real chick no mixes chick pieces as the primary ingredient

being in college means i cant afford the most expensive food but the iams is wonderful

the most important thing to remember is that you need to get a dog food specifically formulated for a large breed dog - that way your nutrients, fiber, etc., will all be there in the correct percentages, especially important when they are pups so their bones grow nice and strong, but not unnaturally large which can happen if you feed them puppy food for regular or small dogs, thats the main thing to keep in mind

other than that, just know that switching food for weims is not easy and they will have serious diahrea (sorry i cant spell that) for a few days unless you slowly blend one food in and phase the other out

have fun with your weim
[notify]
Echo

True Hunter!

Barked: Fri Sep 11, '09 8:53am PST 
Abby please read this:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/518 898

and this
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/522883

sorry to say Iams is not a good food!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)