GO!

Weimaraners and Cats?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Halle Kate

My soldier dad- has to go to- Korea:(

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 6:18pm PST 
We just got Halle. She is our only pet for now. I am curious if anyone has other pets, specifically cats and how does your dog do with them? I have wanted to adopt a rescue cat for some time. Of course, it would have to be the perfect cat, one that does good around dogs. But I've been reading up on our breed and they are known cat haters?? Would it be a good idea to get a cat now while she's a puppy or to not get one at all? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!kittyshrug
[notify]
♥Mila- ♥

Pretty girl

Barked: Tue Oct 14, '08 8:37am PST 
Due to a strong prey instinct and a highly acute sense of smell, Weimaranrs may not be a wise choice for those with smaller animals in the house.

We don't own a cat but I love playing with cats, and would not harm then in any way...
so you see , not all weims will harm them..
I suggest you introduce her to the cat and see how it goes..
good luck, and keep us updated..
dog
[notify]
♥Mila- ♥

Pretty girl

Barked: Tue Oct 14, '08 8:37am PST 
Due to a strong prey instinct and a highly acute sense of smell, Weimaranrs may not be a wise choice for those with smaller animals in the house.

We don't own a cat but I love playing with cats, and would not harm then in any way...
so you see , not all weims will harm them..
I suggest you introduce her to the cat and see how it goes..
good luck, and keep us updated..
dog
[notify]

Ruger

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 3:59pm PST 
We brought Ruger home back in April to our house where we already had a cat who is 8 years old. Ruger (my weim), has formed a love hate relationship. He has NEVER tried to harm Dexter (cat), but they deffinately do play. And when Dexter has had enough, he runs under the bed and Ruger is over it by then. Ruger was 8 weeks old when we brought him home and introduced him to the cat, and I think they are getting along just fine, and have formed a great bond.

If we are out for a walk it is another story, he wants to chase and is much more agressive with "strange" cats.
[notify]
Gunner

Barked: Fri Nov 7, '08 2:55pm PST 
My parents brought me home when I was 4 months old. They already had a cat, Twink, who is 14 years old. My mommy was worried that Twink would hide from me when I got home, but she was pretty welcoming. She comes out and about and stays in the same room with me, but if I get too close to her she will let me know. The first time she hissed at me I ran and hid in my kennel!! She lets me smell her sometimes but Mommy tells me when it's time to quit and that seems to work just fine. Most of the time I just leave her alone and she ignores me (which is fine with me!). wink
[notify]
Champion the- Grey Ghost -

Man's BEST- Friend

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 2:56pm PST 
I read all those stories of Weims hating or killing household cats too. I was scared because we already had a 1 1/2 yr. old cat when we got our weim puppy. At first the cat would jump on anything high up to escape from Champ (weim), Champ only wanted to play but he played a little too rough. Although he played rough with him he never made him cry. Now that Champ is 1 yr and a half he has become more gentle with the cat. Now the cat LOVES Champ, he doesn't run low to the ground and find high shelves to jump up on. Now when Champ is sleeping the cat will come up and rub on him and then lay beside him and bathe himself. So I think if you really want a cat get one, now would be a perfect time considering your weim is just a puppy!!
[notify]
AsHeS

Give me some- food!!

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 4:12pm PST 
We just got Ashes a few weeks ago and we have 2 cats at home and i was afraid that Ashes would not get along with the cats since he has never seen one before but as it turned out he loves the cats and wants to play with them all the time they even sleep together sometimes when noone is watching . If you introduce your puppy to another cat at a young age it could work out very good happy dance

I would bring your dog around another cat first just to make sure and see his reaction.
[notify]
Sabastian

Don't taunt me ,- I'll bite!

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 6:41pm PST 
I just go here like 3 days ago and I'm not really good with my melody... I like to jump on her and pull her across the room by her tail . We're just hoping it's a puppy thing , but we can't be for sure.... So I don't know how your dogs gonna be , but if it's anylike me , It aint' gonna end up good...
[notify]
Kylee

Kylee -Human- trapped in a- dogs body

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 8:31pm PST 
I found (5) kittens only 1 week old , being so young , not only did I have to bottle feed them but you also have to make them go potty, well I let my Wiem do the honors , she would lick thier tummys until they pottied, needless to say , I kept all 5 of them , but they get along fine, she plays a bit rough at times , but she thinks she is thier mommy , I call them her Pittys. I hope this helped .
P.S. not all Wiems are as gentle as mine , but it is possible for them and felines to get along.
[notify]
lijah blue

i go where dad- goes...no if- ands or buts

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 12:37pm PST 
i have had mr lijah for 4 years now he was brought into a house with a rather "grumpy" cat at 8weeks old and has also lived in many homes with catshe has just met, he has never seemed to be bothered by cats or shown any aggresive nature towards new or old kitties. he is routinely caught napping with two of the cats in my current home.. i do think it very necessary to introduce cats toyour weim at the earliest age possible though..
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2