GO!

Swimming Weims

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Athena

Goddess of- Wisdom

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 4:39pm PST 
My mommy and daddy need a little help. They are trying to teach us how to swim, are there any hints they should try to get us to want to be in the water? Right now we don't like it one bit. Daddy heated the pool so the water isn't cold, they have a little island in the shallow end and have tried to play with us while our feet still touch the ground. As soon as they let go of us, we jump right out. They don't force us to get back in. They tried rewarding us when we stay in the pool, but we aren't interested in that either. This has happened now on three different days.

Any suggestions?
[notify]
♥Mila- ♥

Pretty girl

Barked: Fri Jun 20, '08 8:33am PST 
Athena,
I feel for you,
when I was a pup I was terrified of the pool as well...
so mommy decided that i needed to learn was at the beach or lake,
and that's exactly where she took me, I slowly went in after my toy, and lost fear of the water, it took some time... but patience paid off.
the reason why i was so afraid of the pool was beacause I didn't know how to come out of it, and panicked, trying to come out from the sides... at the beach or lake i don't have that problem I just walk right out, making me feel confortable and secure...
now I no longer afraid of the pool because I built my confidence first , then when I was ready for a challenge the pool was intruduced to me again and I was fine...

sorry for being long... but that helped me maybe it will help you as well...
good luck
way to go
[notify]
Brody

"I'm a Lover"

Barked: Sun Jun 29, '08 6:02pm PST 
Don't feel bad...I hate water too!
[notify]

Lily

Barked: Fri Aug 22, '08 7:56am PST 
I have two dogs, a Weimaraner and a Yellow Lab. My Lab loooves the water so we wanted to get our Weimaraner Lily swimming too. So she loves to retrieve balls, sticks, toys etc... so we took her to a local lake/pond and starting throwing sticks into the water. Not far at first, but as she got used to it we went farther and farther and now she won't stop whenever we are near water. She loves it.
[notify]
lijah blue

i go where dad- goes...no if- ands or buts

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 12:44pm PST 
NO WATER FOR ME NO WAY!!! my dad has tried everything...and i hate everything about the water...
[notify]
Max

Max - more human than- dog!

Barked: Sun Jun 21, '09 9:49am PST 
I only swim front crawl - can't do that doggy paddle stuff - but it takes it out of me! I do love to swim in the sea although sometimes those waves are a bit fierce and I have to race them back to my mum
[notify]
Shadow (My- Baby,My- Heart)

I love you- special

Barked: Sun Jun 21, '09 3:12pm PST 
I never had a weim that liked water ! We have an in-ground pool, out of 6 weims nobody comes near the pool, if we go in the pool they go in the house (doggy door).
So it's not always true....one of Shadow's son's would come to visit he'd come in the front door next you heard the splash Kaiser was swimming & loved it.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Mon Jun 22, '09 9:02pm PST 
we have a pond by our house and Uno has gone after a toy couple times, but this one time he got water in his ears and while trying to shake it, he started sinking like a rock, I almost went in the water to save him! I think I'll get him a lifejacket.
[notify]
Echo

True Hunter!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 10:26am PST 
Shadow,
pools are different then a beach or lake.
my dogs would never go in a pool and they love the water at the beach or lake.
at the pool they don't know how to come out of it or in for that matter, and panic. Where at the beach they just walk right in or right out with no freakeness!
so maybe you would want to try the beach with them sometime.
you might be surprised that they might like the water after all.

just a thought
[notify]