GO!

We are potty-trained, but...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rita

it's my way or- the highway

Barked: Mon Sep 12, '05 9:13pm PST 
Maybe my mom didn't think this all through. Me and my brother have learned to go on our puppy pads inside. We have one outside and Rusty goes on it, but usually I wait til I get back inside to use my indoor pad.

My mom tries to encourage me outside and I see Rusty go and get lovies and a treat. Should she be taking us out first thing in the a.m. so I have no choice (she hopes)?

If our puppy pad outside is on grass, we eventually make it smaller and smaller, right? Is it possible to train to two different spots at the same time? Unfortunately, mom works too far away to give us a break at lunchtime - so puppy pads in the kitchen may be a fact of life for awhile. Mom and dad were going to make us a doggy door, but she can't imagine us being mature enough to be outside alone (and I think she'd be a nervous wreck with worry).
[notify]
Lexi

Lexi the Love- Bug

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '05 8:19am PST 
I was trained for the first couple months on potty pads only, since I couldn't go out until I had my shots. Once we started doing walkies, I would still go on the wee wee pads, but wouldn't get any praise for it. But then Mom would take me out first thing in the morning before I had a chance to use the pad, and stayed out for a while, finally, I just went pee pee. Boy did we have a party- lots of praise and my favorite treats. That was great- I learned that although I am still allowed to use the pads at home, when I really have to go, when I go outside I get yummy treats- so I like that better!
[notify]
Oscar

Sock Thief

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '05 2:30pm PST 
I used to tear my puppy pads apart...my mom tried newspaper...yes I know she had a mess but she made it big enough that I wouldn't miss the paper. Then as time went on my mom would make the paper smaller and smaller ....

don't forget a puppy that is about 2 months old can only hold it about 2-3 hours ... my mom also used a rag that was called the pee rag and she would put my scent on it and then take it outside on the lawn, I'd smell it and go...boy was she happy... I've never seen her so happy. Also, my mom never lets me see her pick up one of my messes...because I think if I saw it, I'd probably think it was okay to go inside because I know she will pick it up!
[notify]

Max

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 2:45pm PST 
I use the dog potty from http://www.ugodog.net and have taken to it very well!
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 2:49pm PST 
Hmmm, not sure about training two to go on two diff spots.
Believe it or not I have 3 dogs and they all use indoor potty mats.
Even my bulldog!
Where we used to live we were on the top floor and it was just easier to train them that way.
And, now I am in a condo w/no back yard so i have kept things the same.
However, on walks my scottie girl will pee on everything and she will poop. My dachshund pees outside on walks too but the bulldog never ever pees or poops on walks!

Edited by author Tue Jul 28, '09 2:50pm PST

[notify]