GO!

Will designer mixes ever have kennel club acceptance?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 5:25pm PST 
This is a debate I've had several different times with several different people. People who own these mixes like to argue that all purebred dogs originally started out as mixes. People against the acceptance of them (myself included) seem to think that because there is no purpose or function for these mixes (generally speaking), there can be no unified breed standard, and therefore, cannot be accepted into a kennel club. Not that kennel club acceptance is the be all end all of purebred dogs, but it seems to be what most people consider to be the standard for a breeds acceptance.

I'd like to hear other peoples perspectives on this. Do you think it will ever happen? Why or why not?

By the way, I mean a "real" kennel club like the AKC or The Kennel Club of the UK, not the Continental Kennel Club.

Edited by author Fri Dec 6, '13 5:25pm PST

[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 6:19pm PST 
Sure, once it starts maintaining a registry, breeding true, etc, new breeds may very well be accepted by kennel clubs. Things like Ganaraskans and Silken Windhounds come to mind as being potential candidates for recognition in the next decade or so.

Most people think of F1 crosses they then think of designer breeds, which a) don't have a registry and b) don't breed true, so, no, I doubt they'll ever achieve that sort of recognition by the AKC, etc.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 6:59pm PST 
It really makes no sense for F1 hybrids, which is what the vast majority of designer mixes are, to ever be part of a serious breed registry. The main purpose of breed registries is to preserve breeds and document ongoing lineages within them.

That is not something crossbreeds like cocker-poos or malti-poos would make any use of. The hybrid dogs that are born are in theory supposed to not be bred and only used as pets.

An exception would be ones like lurchers, but those are similar to Alaskan Huskies, being mixed-parentage working dogs that fall within a vague "type" or "race" of dogs versus a true "breed".
[notify]

Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:45pm PST 
I'm not too knowledgeable on the whole breeding of dogs, but I do think that the chances of designer breeds making it into registries like the AKC, etc. are very slim. Of course, these mixes are darn cute and adorable... But they originally were started not only for their cute looks, but also as a ploy for breeders to make profit.

Not saying they intended the dogs only for profit like greedy thieves with bad intentions, but I see mixes like "malti-poo and chi-poos" and I know that the "breeder" probably had an entrepreneur moment, where a cute name and cute look could sell and some breeders of designer dogs mean well when breeding hybrids. I myself, really love Labradoodles... They are so cute... But I would never be able to look at one and consider it an actual official breed, since these dogs are hybrids and weren't bred for any specific purpose except to be appealing pets.

But, I do consider the fact that the genetic variability between breeds could reduce the congenital diseases and other health related problems found in certain breeds that were obtained and narrowed down by artificial selection. I think these hybrids are healthier than their purebred relatives, but of course in any dog, human, etc. the variability is large but doesn't completely isolate and solve all health issues. I do think in the long run these designer breeds could be better family dogs if the mixing of genes could eliminate certain health problems, since I think in my own personal opinions, some breeds would just be disappointing to own like an English Bulldog for example, since they do have so many health issues.

Hope I wasn't rambling... I just think about the old saying "mutts are healthier than purebreds". I love my purebred Sheltie though... But those hypo-allergenic labradoodles... They call to me! laugh out loud
[notify]
Silas

Loco

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 6:50am PST 
I don't think until there's a unified breed standard they really have a have chance of acceptance. Yes, most purebreds started off as mixes but they still all generally look the same.

I've seen a lot of different types of "labor-doodles". Recently, I saw one they looked like a very skinny lab with a wiry muzzle; I had to ask what his mix was.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 8:11am PST 
If some of the designer mixes are special enough ( I know that they are all special to their owners) that breeders try to make them into a breed, like the Alaskan Klee Kai, they may eventually be accepted into Kennel clubs and given the status of a recognized breed.

However, a group of people will have to feel that they are special enough to work on getting a breed description and getting lines that breed true. It will take years and a lot of dedication.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 10:10am PST 
It would def depend on if the breeder(s) were dedicated enough to actually developing the 'designer' dog so that it became an actual breed. It will never be recognized if they continue to have only F1s. I'm tired of hearing people pass off designer dogs as purebreds. A while back I was scanning Craigslist and people are actually calling their designer mutts a "purebred (fill in the blank)". Most people breeding these dogs have no clue what actually makes a purebred dog.shrug
ETA: I will say I would love to have an AKK someday...

Edited by author Sat Dec 7, '13 10:12am PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 11:10am PST 
way to go I would too.hail
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 1:23pm PST 
Totally off topic, but since the breed was mentioned...... I met a AKK for the first time last month. Super cute. He wanted to play with Moose and boy oh boy did Moose want to play, but I wouldn't let him.
I don't think the owner realized just how fragile his dog is because he was all about the two playing.

From what I understand of the woman who created the AKK, didn't she work for, something like 8 years, in perfecting the breed?
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 4:05pm PST 
I think they definitely could...the Labradoodle at least. Which, if I remember reading rightly the other week, is being considered, or talked about by our Kennel Club at the moment. It's very mixed feedback from the public. I personally feel KC registration is acceptable. The Labradoodle breed clubs I've looked at do seem to hold the same code of ethics regarding breeding as do other breed clubs, and from what I see, there does seem to be some uniformity and breeding to "type" in the breeding's, especially the multi Doodle to Doodle breeding's. However, whether KC registration is good for the "breed" is anyone's guess. It hasn't been great for some other breeds. When you close stud books, problems begin to arise and I'm not sure all Labradoodle folk think it's a good idea.

Ah ok, there has been rumoured interest lately from the KC towards Labradoodles, but no signs of that being regarding registration or anything. There is an article in a magazine that comes out later this month which I will read with interest.

Edited by author Sat Dec 7, '13 4:27pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3