GO!

IS THIS REAL?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 1:41pm PST 
http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-apply-for-a-california-assist ance-dog-tag#comments

Cant believe that in Los Angeles in order for you to call the cops to protect your civil rights you need to do this? Should I do this with my local place for my dog so her licensing tags are free now?
[notify]
Homie

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 2:58pm PST 
Yes, you should definitely get the CA assistance dog tag. It's true police will not help you with access challenges without the tag (that's the first thing they ask to see when they arrive to assist you). In CA also a SD in training doesn't have PA rights in non pet friendly places without the tag.
[notify]
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 4:38pm PST 
Sweet good to know thanks for the confirmation will definately be doing this. Had no clue the cops wouldnt help me without having this. Going to get it Monday for sure. Another question for you my dogs license is that free aswell because of the fact that she is a Service Dog
[notify]

RidgeRunner

Seeley, CGC- (SDiT)

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 8:50am PST 
I'm not from CA, but do you know what the laws are in terms of an out-of-state SD team traveling through/visiting CA? Do we need to get the tag as well just in case?
[notify]
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 12:27pm PST 
RidgeRunner I dont know what the out of state laws are but if you give me a few days I can make it there and ask them. I am sure they wont require a out of state team to get one just for the term they are in town. I can ask and then get back to you
[notify]
Sam

My Sammi

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 12:42pm PST 
ADA is a Federal law, so it trumps state, county, and municipal laws. If you are refused support for a claim of discrimination, sue the the po-po too, because the discrimination is not against the dog, it's against you, the disabled individual!

SDiT's may not have the same access as a fully trainied SD, but the trainer does. Since a PSDiT must be, by the very nature of it being a PSD, trainied by the handler, (you), you can make a case for equal access.

As for the license, most states do issue a permanent, cost-free service dog license. However, as the ADA does not require any service dog to have special tags, vests, certifications, registrations, or anything else that indicates that it is a service dog, you don't need to get it to live in a state, or pass through a state, unmolested. It's just another thing you can do to keep ignorant people off your back, and save a few bucks on annual renewals.

Also, in case you aren't aware, you can write off any and all expenses associated with your service dog, ie, food, equipment, vet bills, licensing, etc, on your income taxes.

Don't let yourself be bullied! Contact the DOJ via the contacts listed in the implementation regulations for the appropriate title of the ADA and file a complaint!

Edited by author Mon Oct 14, '13 12:48pm PST

[notify]
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 1:56pm PST 
Sam you mean any money I spend on my Service Dog I can get back from my income taxes?
[notify]
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 3:40pm PST 
Sam I know that the federal law trumps it. Personally I have called the police around 5 times for discrimination and not allowing me entrance in somewhere and they have helped me every single time no problem. I just saw this the other day. Didnt know if it was true or not but I guess it is. I have never been asked for it ever.

In the area of the license I am wondering does this mean that the regular license is free? Is the SD license just like a pet you know how you have to get them licensed? Is it the same thing or work for the same thing or do you need to get that license on top of it?
[notify]
Sam

My Sammi

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 6:30pm PST 
Yep, Lucy, keep track of those reciepts! Any expense incurred pertaining to your service dog is tax deductable; your dog is considered a piece of medical equipment. (That's why the discrimination is against YOU and your disability, not your dog).

A permanent SD license for your dog is in place of the annual requirement, you just need to apply.

Again, the police cannot require a state issued service dog license to respond, and take action, in the case of a discrimination complaint. The complaint pertains to YOU, not your dog. YOU are being discriminated against for your disability. Would the police require a license plate on your wheel chair before they took action against someone for telling you to beat it because your chair might leave tracks on their floor?
[notify]
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 11:29pm PST 
Say if I file my taxes on my own that means I have to enclose all those reciepts for my SD? Or do they just take the word of the person but in case they ask you have to have the reciepts.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2