GO!

Um what the heck... alphaship techniques sweeping the whole animal world?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 5:07pm PST 
I got a ferret last Tuesday. Since then I've joined a lot of ferret forums. They all have training/tips sections...

I thought I left the dominance ordeal back at the dog forums but was I wrong or was I wrong? I'm positive reinforcemnt with my pups except the occasional correction (positive reinforcement punishment so technically still positive reinforcement lol).

Anyway, for nipping there is essentially an alpha roll technique for ferrets. And scruffing for use as a punishment... But the one that got me was the alpha roll. Really people?

And I see this "pack-leader" mentality... I don't get it... ferrets aren't even dogs! *shakes head*

Doesn't the following look like an alpha roll to you?

"When your ferret nips you, immediately put them into the bite hold (decried below). Hold them until they submit. Ferrets may submit by: yawning, sighing (watch closely and feel with your hand the sighs are sometimes very small and reluctant lmao), lifting their head to expose their chin, looking away from you (i.e. turning their head to the side), licking their lips, or relaxing."

Space between photo and bucket

http://i985.photo bucket.com/albums/ae337/HurricaneKatt/Ferret/308.jpg

ETA:

OM D, now I'm mortified at what I just read:

"Drag your ferret by the scruff for a short distance on a soft carpet or bed. Ferrets do this to each other to show dominance. You are teaching your pet that you are the alpha ferret. "

Edited by author Tue Oct 1, '13 12:08am PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 6:15pm PST 
We had ferrets years ago and we never had to reprimand them. All we did was handle and play with them a lot. They were very sweet. Their goal in life is to play, play, play and have nothing but fun. We never got bitten by any of them. shrug The "Jam It Down Their Throat" kind of training has to stop, no matter what kind of species you have. frown
[notify]
Dandelion

helloooo....! - i\'m TALKING to- you!!!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 6:47pm PST 
.... wut?

ferrets - they're weasels! i've never heard of a weasel living in a "pack" structure (they're not lemmings!) so what the heck are they talking about??

i can't even see how that would work.

seems to me it's not reinforcing "alpha mentality", it's just a variation on operant conditioning: "do this and life gets nicer, do that and life gets not so nice in a hurry".
[notify]

Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 8:27pm PST 
Ah silly humans!

Congrats on your new addition! Ferrets don't do dominance. If anything trying to"alpha roll" them or "dominate" them only would make them wary, perhaps more nippy. The only time I ever scruffed my fuzzies was if something happened and they were so hard to reach I could only grab them by that. They're dear, sweet, playful little darlings. Happily destructive for every second of their lives.

They respond marvelously to clicker training (with vast amounts of patience mind you) and the one fert I had after getting dogs kept both of my beasts well in their places. A hound and a foster terrier lived peacefully with her.

Best of luck to you and your addition! They're lots of fun, but patience, patience, PATIENCE! Don't expect anything to go undamaged. They don't mean any harm, but they tend to leave a trail of havoc in their wake. laugh out loud
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 12:12am PST 
OMD, now I'm mortified at what I just read:

"Drag your ferret by the scruff for a short distance on a soft carpet or bed. Ferrets do this to each other to show dominance. You are teaching your pet that you are the alpha ferret. "

I love my little furbutt, and yes, she is a menace to society but she's exceptionally sweet and adorable too. I couldn't imagine using that technique on her -- it sounds horrifying to me...

I've started with the clicker and it's difficult because she doesn't like eating food from my hand, she'd rather run off and find something to break. So I've switched to toy rewards (and she LOVES it). She is so easy to train. She was potty trained within 36 hours of never having been taught before -- we did newspaper training. I'm just teaching her the way I would teach my dogs, I don't see why not.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 2:29pm PST 
I just got a huge fish tank for my koi. I must say, I can't figure out how to alpha roll them without getting wet myself!laugh out loudlaugh out loud thinkingthinking

Edited by author Tue Oct 1, '13 2:30pm PST

[notify]
Dandelion

helloooo....! - i\'m TALKING to- you!!!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 3:22pm PST 
oh... no, no, no.... you must get ON TOP of that koi or next thing you know it's mooching at you while you're eating and peeing in the rudbeckia.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 4:53pm PST 
I was afraid of that, BOL!!!
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 8:06am PST 
I'd like to see someone try that with a hamster. Or a gerbil. heh heh hehhamster dance chomp chomp
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 8:33am PST 
Do I have to alpha roll my angelfish? Toto let me know how it goes with the koi, my big black angel's been giving me the eye. thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3