GO!

Vest Choices

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Ryker

Gimme my- balllllll!!!!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 23, '13 5:45pm PST 
What vest do you use? If possible post some photos. Show off your creativity/vest choices smile
[notify]
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Mon Sep 23, '13 6:40pm PST 
I have two different vests for my SD. One was the original that had patches that said Service Dog on it. I got alot of hell because people think SD are only for people missing limbs or blind deaf or crippled in some ridiculous way. I have PTSD and other issues you dont actively see nor want to see. So for some reason it looks like im fine but my dog does alot of things that I cant without her. The picture below is the vest I bought her online and sewed all the patches on myself. Reason I did it that way is that vest has bags that fit on both sides of her that can carry her water bowl and two things of water and my medications and all her paperwork I love that vest.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1097988_30 8420629303820_1264004051_n.jpg

This is the original vest I have for her when I first got her vest. It was the initial one and I do still use it:

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/228969_45394 95926366_1945003706_n.jpg
[notify]
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Mon Sep 23, '13 6:41pm PST 
Let me know if you can or cannot see them. I may have to send you pawmail in order to send you a picture.
[notify]

Zoey

SDit

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 4:07pm PST 
Zoey so far has had two vests:
the first I used when I began her training, it was just a simple red cape with a zipper pocket on each side, it was big enough to carry some poop bags and her ID tags as I found the jingle they made on her collar annoing. The only thing I did not like about this vest, is that it sometimes sat cricket on her back, which irritated my OCD to no end, and the fact that it did not have a handle. I did not mind this at first but after having her vest now with a handle. I would never go back. You can find a picture of this fast on my profile.

Her second and current vest was inspired by Julius K-9. I love the fact that they had large pouches on each side, but unfortunately there vests/harnesses did not come in the size I needed(extra extra small) with the features I wanted, so I made it myself. of course it's not the quality of the Julius K-9 harnesses, but it serves its purpose well. I love the detachable pouches on each side. Although now I decided not to put my glucose test kit in her vasts. I don't need them that big anymore. Might also has the flashlight holder on each side, which I've only used 2 to 3 times in the past year.but like I said, I love the padded handle and would never use a vest/harness without a handle ever again. both of my vests have Velcro on their sides so that I can move patches around as I please.the picture of this vest can also be found on my profile.

it's been a year and a already plan on making a new vest that I think will suit my needs even more. Her new vest will have like I said, I found I only need a small pouch now to carry information oh brochures, emergency information for me, poop bags and her ID tags. I also went to have it. A light almost mesh/jersey material so that it is not too hot when it's summertime; and of course it will have a handle. I'm sure you'll find depending on your needs. What your dogs vest to have feature wise, examples would be a pouch(and what size), padded straps(or the option), a handle(what type handle a soft or a hard rigid handle), etc. I hope you'll find the perfect fast for you and your service dog.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 3:27pm PST 
I use a site called Activedogs.com for all my service dog stuff. They are a small AMERICAN company that uses as much American made material in the construction of their products as possible. They are wonderful to work with, quick to get stuff out, reasonably priced, and very helpful putting you in the right product to fit your needs. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just an extremely satisfied customer!
[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 4:35pm PST 
I've sewn Oberon's vests since he's an SDiT and I didn't want to invest in expensive gear until he was finished. He's also growing so much that it wasn't worth buying gear. Oberon's two vests (first one and now a bigger size) were sewn from two layers of cotton canvas in the style of Wolfpack's capes. The newer, bigger one has two pockets for me to carry poop bags and state access cards (SDiTs are protected here), but I don't need anything else at present. I've also sewn him a very long cape (covers most of his back and sides) in bright orange canvas with reflective striping for walking him in the dark or hiking.

I don't know what I'll use in the future, but I have to say I do think the search and rescue style vests from Activedogs.com look pretty sharp!
[notify]
AILBE,- Service Dog- In Tng

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 5:34pm PST 
Shadow used a harness, but he also used his FSDS vest for quick trips to the store. Ailbe will eventually use the harness, but in the meantime I gave him a brand new vest for his 2nd birthday. The first red vest from sit and stay belonged to Shadow and he used it for 18 months. I was looking online and found the Patriotic Vest both at ActiveDogs and Things For Your Dog - http://www.things4yourdog.com/patriotic%20service%20dog%20vest Active Dogs you had to pay for the one special patch "Disabled Veteran With Service Dog" (about $12) and the other gave it to Disabled Vets for Free... So, it helped keep costs down and saved me some money. ActiveDogs put the Patriotic Vest on sale in Sept and the cost plus the special patch came out to what I paid in the beginning. I measured Ailbe and managed to buy the wrong size. The company was extremely nice and exchanged it for me. They also put on the patches... It's an awesome vest and on the one side I put my DAV - Life Member patch on. The company would have sewn it on for me if I sent it to them. It wasn't a problem for me to sew it.

Ailbe's dogster page shows him in the new vest. I've had the most positive comments on how great the vest looks on him. I also have a patriotic collar and with the red halti he's super cute in his uniform. The vest is a little bit more heavier then the little red one we were using it, but that doesn't bother me. Also, this vest was a little bit more then I would have normally spent. I also waited till Ailbe was 2 and done with most of his growing. Ailbe might weigh 68 lbs and be 27 1/2 inches the large vest was way to large on him. He's been wearing a medium size for a very long time.

Ailbe
[notify]