GO!

Went to the Dog Park the other day

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 9:31pm PST 
The other day I took Angel to the dog park for the first time. I was so nervous! I think am a paranoid about her getting hurt or causing a fight (even though she's not dog aggressive - but she will defend herself). I kept her on her leash until the other dogs left and then let her run and play with my roomies dog. I honestly feel that I am being way too paranoid, but don't know how to deal with that feeling. Angel had so much fun with Meekah (roomies dog) that I decided to put my feelings aside and have her a little birthday party at the Dog Park. I know it will be great and a lot of fun however I cannot get rid of that paranoid feeling...:-(
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 6:06am PST 
Honestly, I wouldn't call it being paranoid. Dog parks, as great as they can be-- can also be one of the worst things for most dogs. Now at my local dog park I know most of the regulars (and almost all of them are great people with great dogs) and have spent enough time to know the dogs that cause trouble or tend to bully (only a handful of those thankfully) and so I can usually find the right time with the right group to go. And if you have a certain breed (Rottie, GSD, Pit Bull, Dobie) even though it is unfair, if there is an incident your dog will likely be blamed even if it wasn't there fault at all.

But there's nothing wrong with just waiting till it's empty and having play dates with dogs you know and trust, and that your dog actually likes. In fact even when it's all decent dogs, I've asked one or two of the owners of dogs Lenny likes if we could just put our two in the small dog side (if it's empty) and let them play. Both dogs seem to have more fun this way, and it gives them more space to run and not worry about bumping into anyone. Plus it gives me piece of mind too cause I'm not constantly watching and waiting for a dog to charge in and try to ruin the fun.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 3:04pm PST 
And confrontation is what concerns me the most. I regret not taking Angel to the dog park when she was a lot younger...but I'm giving it a shot now. Maybe one of the big yards will be empty and we can use it. If not, just going to see how it goes.
[notify]

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 5:04pm PST 
And confrontation is what concerns me the most. I regret not taking Angel to the dog park when she was a lot younger...but I'm giving it a shot now. Maybe one of the big yards will be empty and we can use it. If not, just going to see how it goes.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 6:58pm PST 
Angel's bday at the Dog Park was.....amazing! I had as much fun watching her as she did playing! Her friends had a great time as well! We met a few of the regulars who were very nice. I am definitely bringing Angel back!
[notify]
Madeline

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 2:39am PST 
That's great to hear. I took Madeline to the dog park often during her first year & she did very well. I was approached by a lady with a labradoodle who couldn't believe my "pit bull" (Madeline is an American Bulldog) was "so well behaved," which I found a little condescending.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 11:18am PST 
I worry about the same things. We went once and it was OK but mostly because no one else was there. My puppy gets soooo excited when he sees other dogs. He also lacks appropriate dog greeting lingo and is that annoying person who runs up to you and sticks his face in your face. He even was socialized as a pup and went to puppy kindergarden.

He'll defend himself if necessary. I've seen the fur go up on his back. I've not been back to the park, and always wondered if the leash as OK to still use in one.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 11:40am PST 
Angel, I am so glad it was a success and your girl had a blast! Lenny two years ago was invited to a boston terrier's birthday party, she pulled out all the stops and all the dogs had a great time (the birthday girl included). With the right crowd they can be a fun place for people and dogs alike smile
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 1:49pm PST 
You should always be careful at dog parks. There are lots of irresponsible dog owners out there and its important to be aware. That said, dog parks can be a wonderful place for your dog to play. The first time I took Benny, there was a dog walker there with a bunch of dogs but most were elderly dogs and they accepted Benny very well. It was a great experience and its a great way to socialize with other dogs and drain energy in a healthy way way to go
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 7:08am PST 
It seems like Angel does better when a dog she already knows is there with her. And the bigger the group of dogs, the better. Im not positive, just an observation I have made. This morning I just took Angel and I'd say it didn't go well. There was one guy with his dog...a very nice dog I might add. But each time his dog approached Angel got very freely and aggressive. After the second time I decided we should leave. (the rules state if your dog is acting aggressive you should remove the dog immediately so we did. Plus I don't want to be "that dog owner.")

There were a lot of dogs Angel had a great time with last Saturday so I'm probably going to take her out there again. In the mean time I'm going to continue taking her a couple more days this week and see how it goes.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2