GO!

Canine companion for independence has a petition ...

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Homie

Barked: Sun Aug 11, '13 1:46pm PST 
CCI is petitionig to stop the sale of fake SD products (vest, collars, leashes, harnesses and identifications) by Internet companies.

Here is more info http://www.cci.org/site/c.cdKGIRNqEmG/b.8753053/k.4B2E/Stop_Fake_Ser vice_Dog_Products/apps/ka/ct/contactus.asp?c=cdKGIRNqEmG&b=8753053&e n=5oLzFIPjE4LIJSMmG3KFIPPxGfLCIRNsFbKPJWMAJoJZF
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Sun Aug 11, '13 1:57pm PST 
And how is one to tell the difference between fake equipment and the equipment that owner-trainers buy to dress their SDs?
[notify]
Homie

Barked: Sun Aug 11, '13 2:05pm PST 
That is excactly what I was wondering and I'm little concern about it.
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Aug 11, '13 8:19pm PST 
I think it's a horrible idea but CCI has always been rather vocally anti Owner Trainer so it's not particularly surprising. It would be a horrible system to try to implement especially when disabled people already have to jump through enough hoops for almost anything.
[notify]
Sasha

Medical Alert &- Mobility

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 4:24pm PST 
Canine Companions for Independence & Service Dog International were both very supportive!

I always suggest folks donate to them!!!!

I didn't know, until they told me, that it was even legal or possible to "self" train a Service Dog.

They suggested the character qualities to look for in a dog & suggested I find a professional trainer who use only positive, no negative methods. They offered their website info online. They spoke over the phone & answered questions the Dog Trainer I hired had.

They suggested we start with Kennel Club Puppy Class, Canine Good Citizen & then Public Access Testing.

We did everything they suggested, as if my life depended on it (cause it did)

I AGREE with them 100% about the bogus "certifications," they should be fraud!

FAKING a disability to fraudently gain advantage should be a crime!

But, anyone should be able to buy a vest where they please.

My SD looks & acts impeccably and he and I have traveled between 21 States & 2 Countries & we rarely have problems. When we do, a smile & a copy of the ADA almost always works. But when it doesn't, I wish, handicapped parking permits had another line so Physicians certified a person as eligible for a Service Dog.
[notify]
Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 5:17pm PST 
A service dog harness (or other equipment), if it works for the function for which it was intended, is not "Fake".

I should not have to buy my service dog's equipment from a particular source not of my choosing.

That's my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary.

If you're talking about scam "registrations" and the like, I can support THAT, but not limitations on where I may purchase equipment for my dog.
[notify]
Sky

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 1:50pm PST 
I totally agree with Beth.
[notify]