GO!

What do you even do with this?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 6:12am PST 
Reign of terror continues.

Mulder has always known how to open doors... yesterday apparently he learned how to UNLOCK them.

I always keep my doors locked, both for safety and containment, yet somehow Mulder managed to make it through TREE doors, two of which were LOCKED, to release himself, Ridley, and Sally.

I got a call from my neighbor midday saying they were all at large... they were all in the driveway when I got home... I'm just praying my heart out they didn't do anything and animal control isn't hunting me down right now.

How do I even deal with this. Mulder will be miserable in the crate all day, but how do I stop a dog who knows how to UNLOCK DOORS? This has gotten out of hand...
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 6:24am PST 
How frustrating. What about looking into those childproof door knob locks?
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 7:24am PST 
You could always install hardware on the doors to accommodate a padlock. Just decide which one(s) you want to enter the house from and place the padlock on the outside of said doors.

You could also use a barrel bolt at the very tippy-top of the door, but considering your dog is a highly intelligent athlete, he may figure that one out eventually.

Or you could get both in the form of one door lock like this:
http://www.amazon.com/home-improvement/dp/B008IGRFJC
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 9:16am PST 
Oh My! Welcome to my nightmarefrown People used to wonder why it did NOT amuse me that Sabi could open doors.

I installed hooks or slid latches at the top of the doors. They need to be well out of reach and you will need them on the outside and the inside. If you have sliding doors you can use the kid bars which are sold at most hardware stores and need a key to unlock.

Good Luckhug
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 9:59am PST 
We had the same issue with Kai. We also installed slide bolts at the top of all of the doors inside and out. Isn't trying to outthink a really intelligent dog fun?!?big laughbig laugh For some reason they always seem a bit more stubborn when it comes to doing what we want them to as well but when it comes to the things they decide they want to learn it only takes a few times at most before they get it.hailred facebig laugh
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 11:26am PST 
Decided to take Mulder with me today until I figured out what to do about this, and just got a call AGAIN saying Ridley and Sally are out... So apparently Ridley knows how to do this too!!!!

I'm going to have to go to the hardware store today and figure something out because this is nuts...
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 11:35am PST 
Oh boy! They do learn from each other . ... Better double check your internet history--who knows what they've ordered . ...eek
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 11:36am PST 
Looks like Ridley was watching big brother...

Mulder I can't imagine what I would do if I had dogs that could open locked doors. Hopefully there's a fairly easy fix after a trip to the hardware store.

Lenny can open the slider if he works long enough, but thank goodness he's never figured out how to unlock doors. I'm glad the gang was safe on their field trip at least.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 12:16pm PST 
Wow. One of my Labs used to be able to open the sliding door, but this is unreal. And apparently, not uncommon from Ridley also doing it and the other dogs on here. My little morons are just unremitting tunnelers, but so far not locksmiths.
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 1:14pm PST 
They do make deadbolts that use a key inside and out. If they can find the spare key and use it they deserve to be out! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4