GO!

POTP needed for Amanda Bines' pomeranian, disgusting...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 6:22am PST 
So yesterday morning I heard on the news that Amanda Bines was recently arrested for starting a fire in a stranger's driveway in LA and doused her pomeranian with gasoline. She later washed the dog in order to get rid of the evidence. frown I really don't keep up with the tabloids, and I could care less what celebrities do with their own personal lives, and people can say all they want that the industry and the media made them crack under the pressure, but the media certainly didn't make them hurt sweet innocent helpless creatures. This is one of the most disgusting things I've heard in a very long time. I know there're celebrities who have been in far worse trouble than Amanda Bines, but in my eyes anybody who does something so despicable is the worst person on the planet. Pomeranians are one of my heart breeds, so this was very heartbreaking to hear in the news. That poor little dog has been on my mind ever since that smut was broadcasted. For those of you who were fans of Amanda Bines, I hope you have a change of heart. Sadly she'll probably be allowed to get away with this because of her celebrity status. I hope the industry drops her. People like that are not welcomed in Hollywood.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 7:42am PST 
I had no idea who this woman was until I read the article on dogster magazine. Well, I still don't, I've never seen any of her movies.

The news articles they linked to said she has or is suspected to have Schizophrenia. She did not deliberately douse her dog with gasoline, it was accidental, but her actions from that night prove that she isn't capable of caring for her dog, or herself for that matter. Fortunately her parents were able to have her committed to a psychiatric hospital and she will receive the care she needs.

Her dog was not hurt and is now safe with her parents, hopefully they keep it and not return it to her when she's released from the hospital.

If she did douse her dog with gasoline with intent to set it on fire, then I would be outraged right along with you, but that's not the case here. People with mental illnesses do not think rationally, they don't think about what they're doing and how it might harm themselves and those around them.

I'm not a fan of hers, I'm not going to defend her actions, and what she did was wrong, but I'm not going to call her the worst person on the planet, either.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 9:25am PST 
I saw one of her movies what a girl wants at my cousin's house 4 years ago. Gives me the creeps every time I think of that movie. frown I certainly hope to God that her parents don't return the dog to her. My problem is a sweet innocent animal was the victim here. That in itself is inexcusable. I really don't care what she does or doesn't do with her own personal self, but when the defenseless is the victim, that to me is crossing the line. I hope and pray she gets the help she needs, but at the same time, she shouldn't be allowed to have any pets or children.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 5:10pm PST 
The girl is mentally ill, clinically. Let's not bash her. She needs help, not condemnation.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 7:13am PST 
I haven't seen any of Amanda Bynes movies either. While I won't condone or defend dousing a dog with gasoline, I have nothing but pity for this young woman. If she is indeed schizophrenic, then she most likely had no clue what she was doing and certainly no intent to harm the dog.

Since the dog is safe and uninjured, I am very thankful. It could have been much worse.

This young woman however is the one who needs the prayers, she is going to have a long, difficult battle ahead of her dealing with a mental illness like schizophrenia. Finding the right combination of medication and therapy to help her stay more grounded in reality and silence the voices in her head telling her to do things that may or may not be appropriate can be a very long difficult process. Until you have known someone or been in her shoes, it really isn't fair or right to judge what she did, she is very ill and need help not judgment and condemnation. weather pomerainians are a breed that is dear to you or not. It is fine to be upset at the dog potentially suffering or being abused but bashing a very sick person is not called for.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 12:23pm PST 
I agree she needs help, and it seems she was very distraught when she realized what she had done to the pup.
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 3:20pm PST 
According to some of the articles I have skimmed, she also set fire to her own pants. While she was wearing them. She is clearly struggling with some manner of mental illness, and did not understand what she was doing that night. I'm glad her parents are being proactive and I hope she gets the help she needs. Things won't be easy for her.

I remember watching her on All That when I was younger. When this story first broke, all I could think of was how sad her manically angry "Ask Ashley" skits seemed now.
[notify]
Champ

Golden Fur,- Golden Heart

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 11:48am PST 
I agree that we shouldn't bash her because we clearly don't know the whole story here. I do think though that she clearly wasn't trying to hurt her dog: like others have said, she even caught her own pants on fire and she quickly tried to wash the dog off. The dog is safe with her parents now and she's getting the help she needs, as she was admitted to the psychiatric hospital. If the case is mental illness and not drug addiction, then that could happen to anybody regardless of how much you love and care for your dog. I find it sad that people laugh at her or call her disgusting when this could possibly be a case of mental illness beyond her control.
[notify]
DandiLion

:D

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 2:57pm PST 
Being mentally ill does not mean she shouldn't get her dog back. It's important to understand that she was having a psychotic break and was most likely in a state of psychosis. She did not know what she was doing and though that doesn't excuse her behavior, she is taking responsibility and getting psychiatric help.

It's unfortunate that the dog was involved, and it's unfortunate that things had to get this bad before she got help, but one of the reasons things get this bad before people get help is because of the stigma around mental illness. Because of posts like this on the internet, bashing people who are mentally ill. Saying what they should or should not do, saying how awful they are because of the things they have no control over.

This entire matter should not be a media circus; this young girl is dealing with a very serious illness and she should be allowed some amount of privacy.

I for one DO hope she gets her dog back. I hope she gets to a point of stability that she can care for the dog and herself.

She is not a bad person, and if you think she is because she has a mental illness that was undiagnosed, then you are part of the reason so many people go undiagnosed and you should be ashamed of yourself for that.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 6:27pm PST 
DandiLion- I and many others here were doing no bashing of the poor young woman. I sincerely hope that she does get the help she needs and is able to have a stable and good life. I suffer from depression and know and am related to people with other forms of mental illness. I am well aware of the stigma and the struggle mental illness is not only for the person with the illness but the people who know and love them as well. I do hope that in time she is able to again care for herself and her dog. I also know that in order to do that she will have to comply with her doctors and even if she can not have the dog without someone there to supervise them both, animals can be a wonderful part of recovery and stability for those who are mentally ill. Please do not judge everyone her by one misguided post.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4