GO!

Are you a one breed person?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 7:32am PST 
I asked on another forum about a set of very different breeds that I'm interested in (Border Collie, Am Staff, Newfie, and Dalmatian), and was basically told that I obviously knew nothing about them, because I mentioned that I was interested in owning at least one of each at some point in the future. Now, I don't see myself as a one breed person, or even a one type person. I'm the kind of person who is interested in experiencing many breeds of many types. Maybe I'm just being naive, but I don't think so. I own a mishmash of mutts after all, each one with a different personality and a different set of needs. But, I don't know, what do y'all think? Do you know anyone who is like that?
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 8:51am PST 
I love the misfit breed. Except for my pitbull ( I wanted him ) all I have ever owned are the misfits. The dogs that people don't want for one reason or another.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:07am PST 
I know lots of people that have lots of different breeds one woman had a poodle mix, a pug, a golden, a shih tuz and a mutt.

Personally I see lots of breeds that I think would be fun to own, OMG I fostered a basset hound and LOVED how sweet she was, fostered an Aussie mix and loved how focused and easy to train he was. But can I see myself with any thing other than a poodle? Not anytime soon. I see myself with another mini and then a standard, honestly I'm so stuck I can't even see myself moving away from black poodles. Maybe when I'm older and more mellow I'll be more flexable.
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:12am PST 
More or less yes, but I'm not one of those people who's super duper strict that I'll only EVER own Breed-X. I've said before that I love Border Collies and not much else, and that's still true, but "not much else" isn't the same as "anything else" and I also really, really want to own a Borzoi in the future. In fact, at this point I am 95% sure my next dog will be a Borzoi, even though it's going to be 10+ years from now. smile

I'm also interested in Belgian Groenendaels. I've met a few, and I adore them. I've heard some horror stories that they tend to have poor nerves and can be over-protective, but while the ones I've met didn't give a rat's butt about anyone other than their owner and made that very clear (that aloofness actually a trait I like and look for in dogs) they weren't the psychotic, lunging, foaming beasts from the horror stories. This could also be because their owner knew what she was doing, got them from a good breeder, and spent every day of her life giving them the outlets they need for their energy and smarts. shrug All I know is that they're a breed I've been interested in for a while now, and other than a few horror stories, I've liked everything else I've read about the breed. Not AS interested in them as I am Border Collies and Borzoi, but maybe someday I'd like to have one.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:58am PST 
I'm extremely picky when it comes to dogs I like. Even within favourite breeds there are normally only a few that meet my criteria as far as temperament and personality is concerned. I'd say I'm a "one type" person (that type being herders) and can't see myself owning anything else. But just because it's a X (Aussie, Border Collie, Malinois, etc) doesn't mean I'll like it.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 10:06am PST 
Thanks everyone for your input smile

I've really only had experience with rescued dogs, mostly mutts but also some purebreds. So far anyways. I want to get into showing and performance sports, but the challenge is finding a good breed for me. I don't have a type or a breed that will fit me 100%, and there are several that will fit me in different ways. And a lot of my wants contradict each other; for instance, I like dogs that are big and cuddly, like a Newfie, but I also like dogs that are active and driven, like a Border Collie. I like dogs that can think for themselves, but I also like people pleasers. I don't even know where to begin prioritizing. shrug

ETA: And I know that Cohen, but my point is not that my dogs are very different breed mixes, but they're very different personalities. For instance, Jane is very laid back and naturally well behaved, but she has a huge stubborn streak. Pip is a little anxious, loves people, but isn't so fond of other dogs. Link is still a puppy, but is the most active and sharp as a whip, but has some focus issues.

Edited by author Tue Jun 25, '13 10:09am PST

[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 10:17am PST 
We all have various facets to our personalities, and different breeds may appeal to our own different traits. I'm definitely drawn to Dachshunds and can't imagine ever not living with one, but I would love to have a Golden one day and I could certainly share my home with any mutt or purebred dog that had an awesome personality.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 10:49am PST 
Oh gosh no. I love far to many breeds to only ever limit myself to one breed. I want to experience a number of them throughout my life. That being said, since making my mind up on my next breed I have found myself only drawn to that breed and haven't had my mind swayed by anything else in the mean time.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 11:47am PST 
Wouldn't say I'm a one-breed person, but I definitely have a type. I love love love spitz breeds. Shibas, Alaskan Klee Kai, Huskies, Tamaskan... :3 I want one of all of them lol, and always gravitate towards dogs with that look.

But I also really like greyhounds and there's a handful of other breeds I'd consider too. I don't think it matters if you have different breeds as long as every dog can respect each others boundaries and has it's personal needs met. smile
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 12:36pm PST 
Oh goodness, there are so many breeds and dogs I want to have. I just want to experience them all (well, almost lol). The only way I know how to be able to try and work with so many breeds is to foster. Otherwise I'd be long dead before I could have as many as I'm aiming to work with (since thank goodness and fortunately dogs are reasonably long lived creatures).

But there are some breeds I really want that can't be found in shelters so I'll somehow have to get rich, long way to go lol, so that I can have one.

List of needing to purchase dogs:
Borzoi, Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, may need to purchase breeder Malinois, Beauceron, Tervuren, and Chodsky Pes.

I have no idea how I'm going to get my hands on all of them, I'l definitely have to probably compromise -- some of them don't mix too well with other dogs =)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4