GO!

Something is ALWAYS wrong - Now Frisbees?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 2:11pm PST 
So first it was people, then it was big dogs, then all dogs, then cars coming up behind her....and I'm sure I'm missing things...

Nearly every single day we go out and practice disc for at least 15 minutes.
We've been working a few times per week since probably March or earlier.

And Rigby especially has done quite well at disc and loves playing. Or maybe lovED would be the appropriate word.

Today since it was fairly windy, I tried to work in a few rollers with our throws, all was fine at first.
About 25 minutes into our game today Rigby snapped. Suddenly the thought of the disc terrified her, especially if I was holding it.

She attempted to bolt, but luckily her recall prevailed. As I got to her level she climbed as close as she possibly could to me, and got into my lap. My arms are now covered in scratches (why did I decide to cut her nails today??) from her climbing on me.

Panting wildly and shivering.

At this point, I leashed them up and returned inside. Grabbed a handful of treats and placed the disc on the ground. She was still acting skittish but she would approach me, touch the disc with her paw and accept the treat. Once she was doing this with confidence, I ended the game so as to not totally overwhelm her.

She seems slightly calmer now. No longer panting, but still sort of "off"

The best I can come up with is that it took her a few minutes to realize my motion of throwing the rollers? shrug

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or insight on the issue?
I am pretty sure I know how to turn her back onto disc with patience and time. (I hope, as disc is a major exercise portion)

But keeping her in a stable state of mind, or working out these fear issues is something that I have not had the experience with in any other dogs I've owned.
[notify]
Rylee

Rylee

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 3:39pm PST 
I don't really have much insight, but it sounds like there is something going on with your dog's psyche. I'd suggest speaking with your vet and with a trainer in your area about your issues. They might have some insight. Dog trainers who specialize in dog behaviors might be more beneficial.

Your dog sounds very sensitive to things in her environment. Perhaps your mood or your anxiety transfers to her? Dogs can be very perceptive. I'm not sure if you raised her from puppyhood or if she was adopted later in life, but something in her past or in your reactions triggers her fear and you need to get to the root of that problem.

There are lots of books and even articles online that talk about sensitive dogs. Reading them might give you some insight, remember you an always take a little from one and something else from another. Nothing is fool proof.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 6:37pm PST 
I take it that you were playing outside? Is there any chance at all that she could have been stung by a bee or wasp or stepped on something really painful?

I was at an agility trial last year where a dog got stung by a bee while going through a tunnel and since that incident he has been (understandably) leery of tunnels (even a year later after a lot of work).
[notify]

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 6:54pm PST 
Thanks to both answers thus far.

Rylee - we are currently between vets. As our previous one was, well I don't want to use the term "useless" but after carefully examining the charts, he asked if Cobain and Rigby were littermates shrug
We have been working with a trainer, but between finances and more pressing urgencies in the area, we sort of take a back seat with her issues - especially when she has been doing so well lately.
She was found as a stray so the roots of many of her issues are unknown - either genetic instability (which I think this sounds like) or abuse.

I would love to get a few book titles to bone up on my knowledge!

Rexy - Definitely a possibility. While I didn't see any sort of insects flying around, she is quite sensitive and that may have set her off.
I guess figured I would have heard a yelp or some sort of indicator of discomfort though, this seemed like a "oh I no longer enjoy disc, I will run away now with my tail tucked"
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 6:32am PST 
Kato's pretty sensitive, and has on a few occasions caught something awkwardly and yelped and just quit. Maybe it hurt his tooth, maybe he opened his jaw awkward enough to cause pain, maybe he landed funny, etc.shrug

Heck, I've had a few times where my jaw cracked while just eating, and it hurt like heck! So, who knows what happened, but dogs can associate pain to just about anything.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 7:37am PST 
No yelp or other indications of pain, just a shut down.

Today I took the discs out of the closet on our way out, and she seemed excited for them.
She caught it a few times then seemed to snap and say "oh right I'm scared of these" and shut down again.
I'm fairly certain that it's the arm movement of the rollers.

I could throw the disc for Cobain fine, she would sit next to me as I threw it, but I believe she was looking away each time I threw.

She's been acting very odd for her. Seems outwardly calm, but very sucky and cuddly. Just wants to sit on my lap and cuddle. Whereas she's typically either aloof or annoyingly playful.
[notify]