GO!

The Incontinence Sage Continues

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Libby

Love me!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 5:41pm PST 
My 5 yr old spayed husky has had incontinence for about four months. PPA didn't work and we switched to DES. The dosage requires one pill each day for four days, then one each week thereafter. After the initial four, I had to give the next week's pill 6 days later because the incontinence returned. Yes, I got permission from the vet to do this. The pill worked for about two days, and then she began leaking again. The flow has slowed down considerably to just a drop or two instead of a puddle. I'm still using baby wipes to clean her vulva and Panalog to treat the irritation from urine.

At this point, I've thrown a lot of money at this problem and, while it is improving, I'm starting to become frustrated for my poor pooch. Will adjusting the DES be helpful? Is this something other than spay incontinence? It's not a UTI. Is this just going to be our new normal? Does anyone else have experience with this?
[notify]
Libby

Love me!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 5:41pm PST 
*Saga
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 6:35pm PST 
Libby,
So sorry to hear the saga continues... wish we could be of some help. Good luck in finding a resolution and try to hang in there.hughughughughughugwishes
[notify]

Buddy

B as devoted 2- ur dog as he is- 2 U

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 1:02pm PST 
INCONTINENCE: ok people, I have been doing a lot of research on incontinence and the best thing that I found was "be persistent, any dog with an incontinence problem can be fixed, but you have to be persistent"

I knowingly adopted an 11 month old boxer mix named Buddy who had been returned to the shelter twice before because of his incontinence. It broke my heart, I adopted him. I have been researching and researching and there are a few things. Management: try tinklbelts.com they have been a lifesaver for my 50lb pooch! My other dogs kind of understand too and they don't mess with his belt. It's machine washable and because of my dog who has a constant flow, i use maxi pads as an added liner to prevent leaks. That was my first step. Before me, they did his first surgery to correct, they tacked down his bladder, that was not successful. They tried all the meds, no luck either. At this point is when I came into the picture. I researched and researched and found that a cystoscopy (look it up) was my next step which is one of the best things to diagnose the problem. I spoke with a dr from cornell univ. that is currently reviewing my files, hoping for some good news. I meet with a surgeon tomorrow to discuss our plan. I am hoping that this will be the less invasive way to correct but if we can't go that route, I will keep being persistent. There is a hydraulic urethral occluder that is available that seems to have very good results but most of the results have been with female dogs and I have a male. none the less, I will keep trying to find a way to help my baby. i will keep ya'll posted but this should be a good start for anyone that seems to be having a similar problem, such as most of you here.
[notify]
Libby

Love me!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 6:17pm PST 
I've been hoping to avoid surgical options if possible and am hoping that her third week of DES will bring some results. She's down from puddles to drips, so we are making progress. We use Foster & Smith bloomers and like them. I keep two on hand so that I can wash one if she misses the overpriced panty liner that I stick in there, and then back up with disposable ones. I've been using unscented baby wipes to keep her clean, and the vet prescribed a Panalog cream which cleared up the two tiny ulcers on her vulva from scalding. Any other tips on hygiene? Does your female let you clip the fur around her vulva?
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 11:45am PST 
I actually have a male boxer mix w/ incontinence. Please, ALWAYS speak to your doctor before giving anything to your little ones. I recommend Borage Oil liquid capsules, you can order it from Purtianpride.com. It is a natural oil that releases from the inside to the places the skin needs it. I have been giving it to Buddy for 10 days now and his urine scalding is gone. I also give him a vitamin E as well in his breakfast. I use it for my 13 yr old JRT as well to relieve any dryness in her skin (shes been getting it for over a year now).

Baby wipes unscented are what I use. I wipe between every new pad or tinklebelt. Buddy goes through them quickly, sometimes within an hour. I also use baby powder on the sides of the pads, not close to his pee pee, just for added comfort. My doc said that hydro cortizone spray from Dr fosters works well too but again, keep it away from her pee pee. I have a diary here on dogster that I am tracking his everyday progress in hopes of helping someone else in my position someday. If you are interested in reading the blog and see where we go with this...please do. Mine is a really tough situation where as yours is now drips. Check it out. and I'll be happy to answer any questions or to be as much help as I can. I am no vet but I do research and do the most holistic things I can for my babies. unfortunately, Buddy is beyond holistic vitamins for a cure but...you never know.
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 1:07pm PST 
Is the incontinence associated with the spay? Or could there be a kidney or bladder issue (not UTI)?

Has an ultrasound been done to confirm the actual cause? Without that definitive answer, you could be spending a great deal of time, effort, and money masking symptoms of a greater issue.

If the kidney or bladder (or both) need support, there are plenty of nutraceuticals and herbs available. They can be quite effective in healing, not only addressing the challenging symptom.
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 1:07pm PST 
The incontinence was from birth, def. before the neuter. Nothing came back from the ultrasound, we are trying C-DES meds first to try them. I prefer vitamins and supplements; if you have any suggestions, I would love to try.

The surgeon said that the next step is a CT scan with contrast. All this is very expensive but worth it if we can find a cure. We have had blood work, cultures, urinalysis, all sorts of stuff and he is in perfect shape. This is such a tough case. My biggest problem is catching up on sleep, I feel like I have a baby with the diaper changings. Thank goodness I have a 2 hr commute to sleep in the morning and again in the afternoon.

Please let me know if anything that you know of has helped? Thanks so much for any advice you could give!
[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 4:45am PST 
All I can say is to stick with the medication and follow your vet's advise. What are your dog's specific bathroom abilities? Does she require manual expression? Incontinent dogs need care about every 4 hours. If you can't do this, you may want to hire an off-duty vet tech to help you out. Keep her on a regular feeding schedule, too. Have you considered diapering? You will need to change her diapers often. You will also need to wash her genitals, and anywhere urine has gotten, daily with anti-bacterial soap.

wishes
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 11:47am PST 
Medicine did not work. We did a CAT scan and came up with an enlarged urethra which is probably where the blood is coming from because the urine is pooling there. The cystoscopy did not come up with anything either. We cannot move forward with the surgery until we resolve the blood issue. Our surgeon cannot figure out where it is coming from except maybe the urethra. From there up through his system, he is perfect. We are probably opting for a holistic remedy before we try more meds or have the surgery which is our last option.

we have a blog here if you are interested in following his unusual progress http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1299167

There is about an 8 hour gap between our work schedules so we have someone stopping by to assist twice during that time. We have it covered and are just trying to help our little guy with the best care possible.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2