GO!

Shaving

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Gatsby

Better than the- whole bunch put- together

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 12:38pm PST 
My husband and I are thinking about shaving Gatsby for the summer, but we're concerned that his fur will change once it grows back. His fur has such a pretty pattern to it, and we love it, not that we would love him less if it looked different, but we get so many compliments on it. Anyone have any idea if his fur will change when it grows back in?
[notify]
Duchess- 7/21/03-1/14- /12 Love U

Sleeping Beauty- needs her beauty- sleep!

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 12:40pm PST 
We made the mistake of shaving Duchess one summer. Her fur grew back but it was not quite the same. I wouldn't shave them. Besides, I have since learned that their fur actually keeps them cool during the heat and protects their skin from sunburn. You can ask in the grooming forum a groomer's thoughts but I don't personally recommend it.
[notify]
Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 2:30pm PST 
Sarge is a "long hair" saint. I put that in quotes because I don't personally feel the long hair variety is all that long...

He gets shaved every summer. If I was that dog, I'd want that done to me. He gets too hot. I just use a nice stiff wire comb to make him fluffy and managable. It is easier to shave him combed. (protip!). I use a 1/4" guide and buzz the snot out of him. I leave his head "main" and tail. I just merge and blend the main and tail into the 1/4 body height so he doesn't look weird.

Fact: His color pattern doesn't change. I sorta giggled at that but had to respond to answer

Fact: His coat doesn't get all weird. It's like buzzing your own head. It grows back like it used to look.

There IS a downside. You have to be careful the first month as sunburn is a possibility. I keep him in a lot during this. We go out to the park for a 1.5mile walk but we do it just before sundown while the sun isn't so intense.

So Shave With Confidence. Your dog will appreciate it.

Edited by author Fri Aug 23, '13 2:33pm PST

[notify]