GO!

Possible International Travel Next Year! Helpp!

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 9:17pm PST 
Bella and I might be going to Australia next year but I'm having a hard time finding information on traveling there with a service dog. I know you all are great at tracking down information so I was wondering if you could help me get the information that I need to know.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 1:30am PST 
Here's a good place to start. There is also a contact us portion there that you can look into. But as a general rule the majority of other countries require the service dog to have been trained/certified by an ADI recognized program at the very least and most require rabies titer's done no more than six months before travel. There might also be additional health certificate requirements.
[notify]
Icy Retired- Mobility SD

Soap Surfer

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 5:34am PST 
Hi, I'm new here.

I would definitively make sure your dog is ADI Assistance Dogs International certified. http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/ That and having the relative vaccination reports should be enough to travel anywhere in the world.

I hope to be around more often,
Alison & Icy
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 7:57pm PST 
Actually, Alison and Icy, even with ADI certification, there are some places where your dog would be required to pass the government's PAT or you'd still be turned away based on what disability the dog is for. For example, Japan makes visiting SDs and Guides pass a PAT every 30 days; other countries don't recognize certain disibilities or don't allow dogs to pull wheelchairs.

Quite a few countries now require more than just a routine FAVN and 180 day wait.

Bella, getting INTO Australia without any quarantine period is going to be impossible; Happy and I have linked to the same site. The Mainland US falls under Category 4 for imports.

Australia's government page pertaining to importing a SD You'll note under the "On Arrival" section includes info that states the dog may be released from the quarantine facility but has to do a 30 day quarantine surveilance at your nominated address.
[notify]
AILBE,- Service Dog- In Tng

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 5:09am PST 
Australia also requires ADI certification and you have to show proof.. The importer must provide a copy of the DAFF Biosecurity medical history form for disability assistance dog handlers, completed by a medical practitioner. Additional supporting documentation, including doctor’s letters, can also be provided.

Formal evidence that the dog has graduated from a member school of the International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF) or Assistance Dogs International (ADI), or is accredited under a law of an Australian State or Territory that provides for the accreditation of animals trained to assist a person with a disability to alleviate the effect of the disability.

The importer must provide a copy of the DAFF Biosecurity Disability assistance dog training form, completed by the assistance dog’s trainer. Additional supporting documentation, including the dog’s licence/certificate and evidence of the trainer’s membership with IGDF or ADI, or accreditation under relevant Australian legislation, must also be provided.

Many European countries also require ADI certification...

Ailbe
[notify]