GO!

The Irish Wolfhound

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 1:02pm PST 
So...

We went to a dog show not so long ago. My other half and I ran into a stunning Irish Wolfhound and it's puppy (by puppy, I mean it was already at my waist. eek )

Anyway, the other half FELL. IN. LOVE. and has mentioned them to me multiple times in the last few months.

"...Wouldn't it be fun..." he begins.

Well, I'll obviously contemplate the future with these lookers, ...but... I don't know that the temperament would actually fit into our lives (futuristic, of course).

I need to know what they are like

1. to live with.
2. to feed.
3. to vet.
4. to train.

Are they like those "sweet" but slightly pig-headed and totally unwilling to please Great Danes? How great are they REALLY with families. Are the puppies terrible?

Someone give me real-world information on these guys. I've gotten to where I don't believe books about dogs... or the internet. lol.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 9:18pm PST 
Well I never owned one, but we had 2 as next store neighbors. A nice elderly couple owned them, and they never really barked. The wife would walk them, and they were so sweet and gentle, never even pulled her.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 10:10pm PST 
Wavessssssss.........

Good to see you back Gunner !

Ohhhhhhhhh the pride of the Irish kings.

A dear friend had one that used to came and stay with me occasionally.Loved Boru dearly.(Brian Boru.. the last true Irish king). We all ran falconry dogs on the Moors.. Pointers and Setters and he used to come along and float over the heather for the fun of it.

Beautiful temperament... only thing I will ever say was wrong was they dont generally have long lives.

He was lovingly bred to be true to his breed...and I would have another like him without hesitation.

Sight hounds who bond strongly with their people. Clever and were bred to use their own judgement at a distance. Happy to "fold up and snuggle" too

I guess none of that really helps you... but it was a personal involvement for me... and one I would repeat willingly.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 11:50pm PST 
I would say strong willed, but not stubborn. Independent a bit, but true lovers. Stately and proud, protective of their families, but not overt about it. They ARE the biggest dog on the block and they know it, no need to put on a show. They can be a bit goofy but not like a Dane. The ones I've dealt with were similar to Danes but without the excess of velcro, clownishness and bullheadedness. I wanted one for years but the same thing that makes me never want another Dane rules them out. They have about the same lifespan.frown
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 2:13am PST 
There is a guy who walks around the town over who has two, just the most beautifully trained dogs. He said they were easy for him to train (but maybe he's experienced?). They are walked a leash in each hand on roman harnesses, no pulling, just gentle giants. He said they cost A LOT to feed.

I've met some wolfhound mixes that were VERY nasty, though. His were well bred and it really showed. I'd be very choosy about a breeder.

I really could not believe how big they are when I saw one! shock
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 8:05am PST 
Thanks guys,

Flicka! wave

I just don't know if the training would suit me. I don't really want a difficult to train breed. Then again, if they're low energy I may not mind. As long as I don't have a hyper, difficult to train breed we're okay.

Then again, this is all future. Hypothetical for now. And I'm doing it because the other half fell in love with the two big boys he met.

I thought, "They're huge. They smell VERY doggie. They're leaning on me. Why is a ten-year old walking that puppy that is bigger than a lab? It's dragging her." Lol! I need to meet a few more before I make up my mind.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 8:09am PST 
They are soooooooooooo stunning and romantic! I really don't have any input...I met one once, and it was charming but the life span issue would keep me from every having one of my own.

Edited to add: Isn't the incredibly handsome Bonzer half wolfhound? (you remember him from the photo contests, don't you? perhaps his peeps can give you some advice.)

Edited by author Fri May 17, '13 8:10am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 10:39am PST 
My SIL owns one. BEAUTIFUL, beautiful dog. In fact, he's EVERYTHING a Wolfhound should be. And he has been fairly easy for them to train, actually. Very, VERY mellow dog. Most of his first puppy year was spent just laying around or asking for pets. Now that he's over a year, he's only just starting to get playful. But MAN, for being such a giant, is he ever gentle! Yes, he costs a lot to feed, yes, his poops are big, but otherwise, I don't see any reason I wouldn't own one. They're not HARD to train by any means, nor are they super biddable like, say, a Border Collie. They look after their home very well, and are very good with children too. Tolerant dog, who adores his family.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 10:58am PST 
I absolutely love Irish Wolfhounds! The reason I do not and will not own one is the short life span. It's not just that they don't live long, it's that they tend to have serious, expensive medical problems. Many I have known have had restrictions on activity, food, and climate. And on top of having generally expensive special needs, they are also extra, extra large so you're paying for that in extra high medication doses, anesthetic doses, complexity of surgery, etc, etc...

Maybe after I make my first million. I think I could get over the potential heartbreak if I didn't have to constantly worry about whether I'd be able to afford to save them.
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 7:38am PST 
Vance, that's a real worry for me. The expense of owning one. I know if we did then it would be an only fog. And I don't know if I can swing that. eek
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2