GO!

2 Chihuahuas in same crate.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Louie

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 6:22pm PST 
In an effort to get my two recently adopted Chis to eliminate ON the doggie pan and not AROUND it, I was advised to try this: Use two 2-door crates, attached by their open doors, one as a play/sleep room and the other a potty room with a doggie wee-wee pan on/as it's floor. (I'm actually going to use 3 crates, one for sleep into one for play into one for pee and poo.) I'm going to put both Chihuahuas in a single setup. They've been together for 8 years, so being together is not an issue. They often sleep together in the same dog bed, even though there are three. I'm just wondering what size crates I should get. One doggie weighs 6 lbs, the other 7 (total 13 lbs). Should I get the crates that say "For dogs up to 25 lbs"?
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 6:54pm PST 
Is your schedule really busy or something?
Why not train them to eliminate outside?
I think you're putting too much thought / work into this, OP. confused I'd pull my hair out if I had to do such a ridiculous set up lol..
Also, your dogs won't know which one is for potty, sleeping and playing. If they want to pick up their toys and play in their potty area then they will.. It would be easier to just have a large X-Pen

Edited by author Sat Apr 27, '13 6:55pm PST

[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:51pm PST 
I agree. I don't know why people insist on teaching puppies and small dogs to pee in the house. Frequent visits outside and lots of praise when the deed is done.
[notify]

Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 3:16am PST 
Princesse is litter box trained ( puppy pad lined box) smile The reason for it for us is that is gets darn cold here in the winter and she is from Mexico after all wink

Princesse was actually litter trained by her original owners but had to have some refresher training. I didn't bother with the crate set up, but she was gated into one room with the box. I actually had 2 boxes, one for each room she would be in. I did the same thing as if she was going outside. Watched her constantly ( kept her gated in whichever room we were in), picked her up mid action if she was peeing outside the box and put her in the box, picked up her poop and put it in the box if she pooped outside the box. Just do the same things you would do if you were training them to go outside. Or, if your situation allows, you could do as the other suggested and train them to go outside. Princesse will do her business outside on walks when it's nicesmile

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 3:18am PST

[notify]