GO!

my dog wont come when I call her

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 4:12am PST 
how can I get my dog to come when I call her? she is 10 months old and still wont come when she's called inside or outside.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 6:37am PST 
What have you done to motivate her to listen?
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 8:13am PST 
There are a few things that you need to be aware of, and they are firstly.....make sure when you call her and she comes, it is always positive on your end. A dog will not want to come to you if she knows she is in trouble. And doing that will poison your call to her for the rest of her life. So always be sure when you call her it is positive. For instance, if she has done something naughty and she knows it, and she knows you are calling her over to give her trouble.....she will not come....just like a child. And of course a lot of this depends on how you are treating things when she does something not allowed. The more negative you are.....the more she will not trust you and not come when called. Positive reinforcement is the way to go, but of course they need to know what is right and what is wrong, and it is your job to teach that.
When you call her always associate it with something positive, like have a treat in your hand, let her know you have a treat and when she comes praise her and give treat......do this every time you are needing to call her and she will learn that going to you is a good thing. Even if treats are not available every time, when she comes make sure you tell her what a good girl she is and give her lots of loving.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 8:45am PST 
I agree with what Lexus said. It is important that the dog associate the command to something positive. Each time she successfully comes to you when called, make sure she gets praised. One way of providing motivation for your dog to come to you would be the presence of treats so it wouldn't hurt if you have a dry dog kibble in your pocket. However, be careful not to give out too much treats or else you'll be faced with a different problem.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 9:33am PST 
I like treats. I keep them with me and periodically call the dog, give her a treat and let her go back to playing. With Shadow I did a lot of ground work in the house.
You can also try engaging the dog in play. Call the dog and run away from it. As soon as she comes close have a celebration, then run the other way and do the same thing.
Avoid calling her only when you need her to come in. Would you go to someone who was always wrecking the fun?
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 5:09am PST 
Reward reward reward.

If she absolutely never ever comes to you, start in a quiet room with no distractions. Say her name and give her a very high-value treat. Keep sessions short(about five minutes) and interesting, and always end on a positive, happy note. After training sessions, I "jackpot" Lobo(that is, I provide him with three to four "free" treats at the end of the session). This will leave her excited for the next session. Working at her pace, gradually increase the distractions. For example, don't expect her to run to you after the first session if she's chasing a rabbit.

As others have said, make sure her recall cue is never associated with something negative. Lobo's recall is his name and/or a whistle, so I make sure when I say Lobo's name it's a good thing and means good things are happening(same thing with the whistle). Naturally, I'm not perfect, so I make mistakes. XD Mistakes are okay, as long as you learn from them and try to do better next time. Another idea that was given to me, was to teach them their recall in a variety of voices so that, even when your voice is stressed and angry, they're still happy to come to you because you used positive reinforcement to do so! (: I do this with Lobo's name since, as I said, I have made mistakes and I wanted to fix them while I'm still learning.

Good luck with your dog! (:
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 8:18am PST 
I have a hard time with this with my dog as well. She just turned 3 years. She will listen if she is playing a game with my mom and I where we stand at different ends of my yard and call her. She loves to run back and forth, whether we have treats or not. I know, for my dog, it is hard to teach her "come" because she rarely is away from to for me to need to call her. She will stay and come when I call her in the house, but when she goes outside she loses her hearing laugh out loud. I will call her and she will sit right where she is at and will stay there until I go get her. She has trained me well on that one, I guess. When I go call her outside she will stop in her tracks and sit on command as well.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 7:47am PST 
For me it is even worse. Sara, my service dog, actually runs away from me when I approach her whenn she is outside. I think she thinks it is a game. And, if she ever gets loose from the yard, unleashed she will run and run until she wears herself completely out. It is actually dangerous for me and her when she does that as she will run across busy roads. How do I break her of this habit? I have done all the standard things. Consistently treating her if and when she does come, running her until she is worn out, never associating come with something negative. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 8:17am PST 
I think the biggest issue people run into is constantly telling the dog to come when you KNOW she isn't going to listen. All you end up achieving with doing that is teaching her that she DOESN'T have to listen to you because there is nothing you can do about it when she doesn't come.
Therefore, until she is consistantly coming, KEEP THE LEASH ON when outside. Practice telling her to come inside EVERY SINGLE TIME she is heading toward you, use a treat, and TONS of positive verbal praise. Practice on leash outside, get a long line so she has to pay more attention to you calling her and until she is coming each time, DON'T let her get a chance to reinforce NOT coming. Do whatever you can to get her back, ie> falling on the ground, running the other way, opening a car door, etc., but do not use the word come unless she IS coming, then PRAISE!!!
[notify]