GO!

My dog bit a small dog

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 10:49am PST 
Hi, I was walking my bullmastiff in the street and I passed next to an ice cream parlor where people were sitting outside and I didn't see that a lady there had a small dog sitting on her lap. My dog saw the dog and lunged at him and bit him. It was a very small bite and just left a tooth mark, no blood just redness. Anyway I apologized and gave them my details. I'm worried now that they are going to use this to get money out of me, I saw the wound and it was nothing that needed any treatment. Where do I stand here?

Edited by author Fri Apr 19, '13 12:00pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 11:56am PST 
i hope you got a picture of the wound as it was befor eyou left. If not i'd be careful.

If your dog lunged at them and bit their dog. You're liably at fault.

Good luck.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 8:08am PST 
I will say that in most places proof of treatment is required in court to obtain payment.
That's the only good thing. Beyond that you have no business walking a dog that is obviously dog aggressive anywhere where there may be other dogs without a muzzle on and without being fully in control. This could have been a tragedy, thankfully it wasn't. I hope for your dogs sake you learned your lesson. An incident like this could cost your dog his life.
[notify]

Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:08am PST 
You were at fault; if there had been any damage, you would certainly be responsible.

If it is true there was no puncture, no blood, then she's not going to be able to sue you effectively, because she has no "damages" except the terror her little dog experienced, and which she experience on her dog's behalf.

That said, you were luckier than you deserve, and the next time could be a tragedy. Get your dog-aggressive dog a muzzle and use it when you're out in public.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:41am PST 
I'm not denying responsibility and would gladly pay for any "true" medical bills. I have bought my dog 3 muzzles and so far he has managed to take every one off.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 1:18pm PST 
If he is getting out of the muzzle then it is not put on correctly, or you have not conditioned him to it enough. One of the first rules is "know thy dog." If you knew he was reactive, you need to work on that before he gets to practice the behaviour anymore. If this was the first time, then now you know & can take management steps & work on training.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 4:25pm PST 
I don't walk my DA dog in a muzzle. She is always on lead when around others and under my control because of that. Of course, if she managed to "grab" and/or bite a passing dog then she obviously had to much free reign to do so and the responsibility lies with me. But if a dog approached her and got bit then quite frankly it should have been under the control of it's owner to begin with! I think you have done the right thing in this situation Guest, but maybe in the future have your dog under tighter control.

Edited by author Sat Apr 20, '13 4:26pm PST

[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 5:29pm PST 
I don't walk my DA dog in a muzzle. She is always on lead when around others and under my control because of that. Of course, if she managed to "grab" and/or bite a passing dog then she obviously had to much free reign to do so and the responsibility lies with me. But if a dog approached her and got bit then quite frankly it should have been under the control of it's owner to begin with!

Missy, what does this have to do with the situation the OP is in, in which their dog lunged at a small dog sitting on its owner's lap, pray tell?

The OP's dog attacked another dog, in wholly unjustifiable circumstances, and is more concerned about not getting stuck than with controlling their own dog's behavior.

OP, you need a good trainer, to help you fit and put on a good muzzle appropriately, and to work on you dog's behavior so that he's under better control.

I just got back a few minutes ago from walking the dogs, and I met one of my neighbors, who wanted to know if I knew where the two brown boxers live. They were wandering loose (not uncommon with these dogs, sadly), came into her yard, and bit her shih tzu, who is a tiny thing no bigger than Dora.

The female boxer is known to have bitch aggression, and her owners do not successfully keep the two dogs contained.

I had no hesitation about pointing my neighbor to the correct house.
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 5:46pm PST 
Wow, you are lucky your dog didn't bite the owner instead of the little dog on her lap! If your dog bites and you can't keep a muzzle on him, I don't think you should be walking him in a public place. I would stick to your own yard.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 6:00pm PST 
Because, Dora, everyone was quick to suggest muzzling, which doesn't always have to be the case. That's all. I was sharing what i do with my own dog. I did say though the OP needed to have tighter control over their dog though as it sounds like it was allowed to much free reign to actually get at the small dog in the first place which is totally wrong.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3