GO!

Going Blind?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Zoe ♥- CGC

Queen of the- Couch

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 4:09pm PST 
Zoe is now 10 years old and everyone tells us that for a Boxer were lucky she's alive; as they dont live long. Well I have had a feeling that she has been going blind for awhile now. She will all of a sudden walk into things or not see them I guess? She does belong to my mom and had her vet check up not that long ago for her shots and her stitches removed from a cyst that ruptured. Well anyway the vet said she checked up fine but my mom probably didnt have her eyes checked all that great. How can we accommodate for her going blind?
[notify]
Auda abu- Tayi

squirrel??!!?

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 4:13am PST 
Don't rearrange furniture, keep food and water in the same place all of the time. Remember you can't expect her to see you, call when you approach, don't touch her without letting her know you are there so you don't scare her.

I am starting to have a lot of vision problems. I was checked and our vet said I had some vision, it isn't cataracts, but terriers sometimes have sudden onset blindness. He said there is nothing I can do, since surgery won't help and my eyes are not hurting me.

Good luck.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 5:38am PST 
that is all good advice. Although being 10 years old makes you a senior, I have seen quite a few boxers live to 14 or so, soemtimes longer.

The previous poster is right about not rearranging stuff. We had a dog who became blind and she adjusted very well. We put baby bumpers on the corners to rooms and whenever she wanted to stick by my side, I would call her...tapping my leg as we went along. Keep furniture and food/water bowls in the same place. I think we did move the furntiure a little bit in the beginning so that our dog had plenty of room to manuever.
[notify]

Zoe ♥- CGC

Queen of the- Couch

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 7:35am PST 
Thanks for all the good advice! way to go
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 11:51am PST 
Sure thing...if Zoe is loved, she will get through this. You will be amazed after a time of adjustment, how well they do big grinway to go
[notify]