GO!

Quick question on Gentle Leader

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Murphy

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:10pm PST 
Hi,

I've been getting Murphy (our border collie/cattle dog mix) used to wearing the gentle leader around the house. We're almost ready to take it outside on a walk, there is enough hanging down that I can connect the leash to both his regular collar & the GL. Does anyone have a better way? I also have the Easy Walk harness, I was thinking I could get a short coupler so I could attach the leash to both (there isn't enough hanging from the GL to reach his EW harness). Any other suggestions?

Also as a side note we've been using the Easy Walk harness for several months now but I'm not able to redirect him. I've adjusted it a ton of times & the front just pulls off to the side without physically turning him (if that makes sense). I'd prefer to only use one leash, I think 2 leashes would be a little cumbersome for me.

Thank you in advance.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:26pm PST 
Connecting the leash to the gentle leader and collar won't give you the head control you get if it were just connected to the gentle leader..
Worse, if he does decide to pull, and he strains forward, the D ring on the collar will swing from the front of his neck to the back and will jerk his head and could possibly cause damage to his neck because he won't feel the pressure of the halter until it jerks him. Where if the leash were just connected to the gentle leader, he would feel himself apply pressure and would hopefully self correct.

Why are you trying to use multiple tools? Easy walk harness doesn't work unless the leash is clipped to it, so having it on when the leash is clipped to the gentle leader won't accomplish anything.

Is he reactive, DA or just doesn't know how to LLW?
[notify]
Murphy

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:34pm PST 
He's reactive, if I can get his attention early (which he's been doing well with) he's fine. I was nervous to use the GL on it's own b/c I've heard about dogs getting out of the collar or worse injuring their neck. I'd like the added control of the GL, for the most part he walks well on the harness but if he reacts I can't turn him away with it (without physically grabbing onto the front of the harness).
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 4:09pm PST 
Perhaps it would be better to just have a backup leash attached to his collar/EW harness tied around your waist or something like that? That way you wouldn't lose any of the leverage that the GL gives you.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 4:22pm PST 
Maybe return it and try the Halti/Holt instead? It has a clip that clips to the collar, but the leash is still connected to the little circle.
When Nare wears his holt I actually clip it to the side of his face because the weight of the leash on the thing that droops down makes him paw at it. Idk if it would work in your situation cause Nare isn't reactive and isn't putting that pressure on it
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 8:44pm PST 
I had the same problem with the easy walk harness. It is not a tool for a dog who needs redirection. It pulls out to the side and god forbid your dog ever got into a fight with it, because there's nothing to grab or pull back on or anything.

For me the GL gave even less control. Some people have tremendous luck with them but my dog would still try and run to the end of his leash and if I tried to take control with it he'd just refuse to walk. I attached it to a chain martingale a few times but it did not give good feedback, it's better used alone. I did not like it and no longer use it.

For me changing direction is easiest in a back harness. No tool is going to be easy to use once your dog has focused, but a back clip gives strong feedback to keep walking without tugging on the neck. Mine has a handle, if he lunges I can physically grab him and move him off. Best thing I ever bought. I was not impressed with the premier products at all.

Edited by author Mon Apr 8, '13 8:54pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 2:02am PST 
I have the same issue with the easy walk harness but since it's done it's job I really can't complain.laugh out loud

I would use a regular collar and the GL if that's what you want to use.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 7:23am PST 
Lol.. I had this problem when Ria chewed up the attachment for Charlie's Halti. The clip that attached the collar to the head collar.

Anyway... How did I remedy that problem without losing head control, while still maintaining things if he slipped it by chance? A small carabiner! One of the lightweight keychain ones. I clip it to the clip on his collar, then to the Halti. Works fairly well, too.
[notify]
Murphy

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 10:56am PST 
Thanks everyone for the feedback. The carabiner is a good idea, I might try that. We have a back clip harness that we initially bought (and now use for hikes or longer walks when he's on a long line). That wasn't working for everyday use though b/c he starts pulling like a sled dog. The Easy Walk harness would be perfect if it didn't pull to the side. I'm dreaming of the day when it doesn't matter what we use (that dream keeps me motivated in his training).
[notify]