GO!

Looking for e-collar recommendations

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:39am PST 
Before I say anything, I'd like to point out that I feel very comfortable in using an e-collar and I plan on using low level stimulation to do some proofing on existing commands with Noah. I've introduced all his commands positively with food, I'd just like to do a bit of fine tuning.

I'm looking specifically at the Dogtra 280 NCP or the Dogtra IQ but I'm open to the opinions of those who have more experience using them. I've heard and read good things about both of them. Noah is a 50 pound dog and one feature I am specifically looking for is the vibrating pager feature. I'd been leaning towards the IQ for a little while but some online reviews make me think it's geared towards smaller dogs.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:44am PST 
I'm confused as to why you feel the need to use an e-collar for proofing.

Aussies are generally very smart and handler oriented. Are you having issues with something in particular?
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:51am PST 
He is very bright and generally very oriented towards me. Mostly I want it for distance work and high level distractions where food/toys/verbal communication haven't been effective in keeping his attention.
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 9:18am PST 
Noah, while I'm not familiar with the particular models you're speaking of as long as it's got the tone feature it should work fine. In general though the more levels one offers the better.
Proofing at long distances may not be necessary for many dogs, but if it is for you an ecollar can definitely be the way to go as long as the dog is conditioned to it properly and it's used appropriately.

Don't let anyone ever make you feel bad about doing what you need to do to keep your dog safe.

Always remember less is more and never use it to correct behaviors that aren't already mastered.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 9:31am PST 
i've never used either model you put here before. I used an Elite Pet Trainer for Small breeds with jake to proof some distance behaviors. And the only function i really used was the beep. Beeping at different volumes was nice. I think i only used the "Shock" function a few times ni teh beginning to show him what would happen if he didn't do the command right or if he disobeyed the beeping.

I keep it around for when we go to the dogpark to correct distance behaviors. Espeically now that i can't chase him all over the bark verbally correcting him. Though the beep is usually more then enough.

I taught the collar different from teh instructions told me too. I used the beep as a warning instead of reward as i still had a clicker. Jake understood Click means good and a treat. He learned Beep means "BAD!!! Stop behavior now" if i don't that undesieable thing happens.

It was really the only way to break him out of some of his worse habits.

I've never used a vibrating model before since were i lived the stories didn't sell them with a beep function.

Like Trigger Said dont let anyone make you second guess your decisions. Using that collar finally cemented jake's STOP command so that he really will stop if he decides to atke a walk by himself. Which he's done before.

Though he's still got his instinct and i don't think it would have stopped him if he had a scent but who knows. Never had to use it for that case before.

Good luck Proofing.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 10:42am PST 
Just a warning, I tried an e-collar on Shadow and even with Lou Castle guiding she got collar wise really quick and tanked the whole thing. Basically she refused to leave my side with the collar on and when I enlisted a helper she would simply return to my side at the earliest opportunity. I tried everything and after a while just gave up.
That said I liked the Dogtra collars and found they offered the most variance in settings. Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your dog. I put the collar on my wrist and at the lower settings it just felt weird, not painful. The one I borrowed was a Dogtra 1900.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 1:21pm PST 
I did some private work with a malamute and used the Dogtra IQ with excellent results. He was a HUGE dog, and had a ton of neck hair and we had no issues at all with that model.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 3:40pm PST 
I've been using the Dogtra 1900 with the vibration setting.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:48pm PST 
Thank you very much for the feedback everyone. I initially bought a SportDog SD-400 and it had very few levels and even on the lowest setting, it was too high for Noah. Plus I really wanted a collar that had the vibration feature.
[notify]