GO!

Need advice for a limp without vocal pain

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Hachi

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 12:56pm PST 
First yes I do have an appointment at the Vet but I am just hoping there is something I can do in the meantime or maybe get a better idea of what to expect.

My dog has been limping and visually its obvious he's keeping his weight off of one of his legs. Yet here is the weird part. He still runs around the yard. I pick him up and lay him on the bed but when I turn he jumps off and takes off. When he slows down he goes back to limping. When I check his legs moves it around, feel around it - Nothing. No vocal que's of any kind that it hurts him. It does feels warmer than the rest of him just a bit and swollen. There is an obvious difference in feeling than the other leg at the Shoulder/Shoulder Blade area. Any suggestions as to what it might be and how to relieve his discomfort until his appointment are appreciated.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 5:05pm PST 
I don't know where you live, but you might have the vet check for tick borne diseases, which are treatable. They could cause the symptoms you describe. He could also have an infection of some sort in his leg. Please keep us posted. Good Luck!
[notify]
Murphy

Dogs are angels- with fur!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 6:58pm PST 
Murphy had this same problem, limped when we walked, never complained with pain, jumped up and down from my bed and car without problems, etc. Not sure how old your dog is but Murph is 9 years old so I thought is might be arthritis and joint issues, did some research and started giving him Joint Care 2 with MSM from Dr. Foster's and Smith, it did the trick, no more limping only occasionally when it's real cold. I hope this helps
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 5:27am PST 
Hows your pup doing?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 5:39am PST 
Dogs usually limp without much reduction in activity or vocal pain. The first thing to do is keep them off the leg! If a dog is limping they should not be running around and jumping on and off furniture - especially if they're limping on a front leg.

Generally when my dogs turn up limping, I restrict activity for a few days and see how they do. Most of the time it's just a pulled muscle. The limp will fade quickly, then I keep them quiet for a few days past the last limping and gradually re-introduce activity so they don't immediately re-injure their self.

If there is no improvement in a few days, or the limp gets worse, then we head to the vet for tick disease tests. Depending on the prevalence of tick diseases in your area, if a basic test comes up negative it may be worthwhile to send a sample to a lab for titering, or treat with Doxycycline anyway to see if it reduces symptoms.

After that you're on to x-rays. It could really be anything, from fractured bones to tumors to arthritis to temporary inflammation.
[notify]
Hachi

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 11:32am PST 
My dog is 1 year old. Hope to get him into the vet tomorrow. Had an appointment but they over booked or some such. It's a great Vet but they are a lower priced play that tries to help everyone so they get overwhelmed at times. Will update when I know.

Edited by author Sun Apr 7, '13 11:35am PST

[notify]