GO!

Which one first? Corgi or Shiba?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:26am PST 
I am asking for a family member, one who actually listens to me and respects my opinionlaugh out loud This family member and their SO have done lots of research including finding reputable breeders. They are willing to wait until they are settled career wise, with possiblity of fostering in the meantime. Their picks are Shiba Inu and Corgi. They are well aware of the challenges of both breeds. They were considering 2 puppies at same time but quickly understood the reasoning behind "not a good idea" . Which brings me to my orginal question. They were thinking Shiba first but I am wondering if the Corgi wouldn't be more adaptable to a second dog? Not to mention that a Corgi might be less of a challenge to train?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 7:25am PST 
Those are two incredibly different breeds with incredibly different needs.

What do they intend to do with the dog? What is their living situation? Do they have any kids or plan to in the future? What do they like about both breeds that leads them to believe either would be a good fit? More information would be helpful before a solid opinion cam be offered smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 12:12pm PST 
This is said family member! smile

First off, I was considering Corgi first for those reasons wink

As for Trigger's questions:

Both dogs will be pets/family dogs. Living situation could possibly be an apartment or other housing that allows dogs (we plan on walking them twice a day, possibly up to an hour each walk. I'm not into the "letting them outside is enough exercise"). No kids, possibly foster older children (possibly!).

As for breeds, the Shiba would be my dog, I would feed, walk and play with it while my SO would have the Corgi and do the same. There will be situations where one of us will need to feed and/or walk both (if the other is away or working). We will each train/be responsible for the separate dogs, they will just happen to live together. Yes we have both done research on the breeds, in my case I have done extensive research. I do think its the appearance that draws us to each breed but also their personality and quirks.

In case anyone would be wondering: we would be first time owners unless we fostered but both our parents have had dogs and we do know how to take care of them. I have also done research about dog care in general.

As Bunny mentioned, we would be waiting until we are settled somewhere before getting the dogs (that could mean when we have a house as well). This is likely a long time in the future, but I am unsure as to how we should approach the situation and I like to know things ahead of time smile
[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 12:52pm PST 
Corgi's that i've met then to be very yippy and barkie if not walked enough. They also tend to have a prey drive at least for toys. I've met a few I didn't like because they were just so yappy. Drove me up a wall. I used to call her Sqweeker.

I've met some very standoffish shiba that didn't even seem to like there owners. I've heard they're not the breed for everyone. But i don'tk now i've met some nice ones too. Hopefully Saya or Conker will chime in if they haven't already.
[notify]
Leia

The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 1:18pm PST 
My main concern under these circumstances is a possible clash of personalities between the dogs. As Trigger said, these are very different breeds, with different play styles, personalities, outlooks on life, and crucially, different styles of interaction with other dogs. Shibas are commonly described as cat-like; they are independent, strong-willed, and unafraid of getting aggressive in order to get their way. Corgis (if we're talking Pembrokes), on the other hand, are very in-your-face with other dogs, and can be quite bossy (that herder heritage). If you were to have both breeds as puppies or young adults at the same time, it could lead to some serious conflicts. Best case sernario for avoiding this is to have one dog be a few years older and a different sex, so plan for at least three or four years between the two.

Because Shibas are more known for aggression issues than Corgis (to my knowledge, anyway) it might be a good idea to get the Shiba first, then see how things turn out. If that puppy ends up being not fond of other dogs, he/she'll be able to let you know before getting mixed up in a household with another strong-willed individual. Then, if the Shiba is ok, you can bring in a Corgi puppy who will grow up adapting him or herself to the Shiba, rather than the other way around.

Moving away from your original questions for a bit, there are a few things I want you to consider. Both Shibas and Corgis are very strong personalities for first-time dog owners, and both may require much more than two walks a day, no matter how long. Both are very intelligent breeds with a true need for mental stimulation, and the Corgi especially needs a 'job' to do in his everyday life. If you don't fulfill their exercise and mental needs, both breeds are perfectly capable of turning your life inside out (as well as most of your possessions). I'm sure you have come across these things in your research, but they always bear repeating!

Also, about the arrangement with the two dogs belonging to each person separately, with no emotional bonding between the opposite pairs. I can see this leading to conflict if the two of you aren't prepared for it. I assume you both have very different ideas of the perfect dog, judging from your breed choices; it's almost inevitable that this will lead to one or the other of you getting fed up with the other one's dog very frequently, as both are strong, in-your-face personalities. You have to be prepared for a little bit of chaos and uncomfortable energy, and you HAVE to be dedicated to overlooking the small things when the dog annoys you. Otherwise, you two may end up warring over the actions of the dogs, as each one of you takes the side of your own 'baby'. This could be very serious, especially if you have only a weak emotional attachment to your partner's dog to help buffer the annoyances that go along with sharing housespace.

Whew! All of that said, it can be done. Here's a link to an earlier thread where one of our respected forum breed matchers actually recommended a Corgi for a household with two Shibas. Good advice there, and maybe some more ideas for you. Sorry to be such a downer; I really do think it's a doable situation. You just have to be careful, as you are showing you are by asking here. Good luck!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 2:04pm PST 
I hope guest doesn't mind me putting in my 2 cents.smile I know the Shiba is non negotionable as guest has wanted one for years and has done, as they said, extensive research. The Corgi may be negotiable ( correct me if I am wrong, guest). I do know the SO has grown up with Doxies, so that may give the rest of you an idea of what they are used to dealing withsmile

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 2:06pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:59pm PST 
At bunny: SO seems to have their heart stolen by the pembrokes.

Leia:

First off, thanks for the details on how these two breeds would clash!way to go

For puppy/young clashing, you think it'll be because they are hyper and untrained so their personalities will clash more?

For the Shibas, I've heard you can train them enough to "bend"... By that I mean you can do training so that the dog will be less aggressive and they need LOTS of socialization. I hear that Shiba pups bond well with animals they were raised with (pro for corgi first).

With the need for stimulation, I have considered those. I know of lots of toys that can help besides walks, but I'm unsure of what the Corgi would need, especially with needing a 'job'. These will depend on working hours, etc. Of course if the poor dog is bored, things will get crazy (To be expected).

With the separation of owning, I think it would help with having them at two different times. If we got them at the same time I did consider that there would be a lot less bonding between opposite owner-dog. With the first dog there would be a lot of bonding, but getting a second dog and needing to go through puppy phases again would help bond with the second dog. Also on that topic, it appears it might be "my rules" for dogs, even if its my SO enforcing them with their dog. I say that mostly because my SO's parents dogs are REALLY spoiled and I can't stand it. (Plus Shiba research has put me in a strict attitude, they need an owner with one)

Thanks also for the link! Its pretty good, in that scenario the Shibas came first. I think on one hand training the difficult dog first will be easier if theres one dog, but on the other hand starting easy then going harder is also good.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 6:51pm PST 
Guest. I wouldn't settle so much on having your dog be a "shiba" and SO's a "corgi" since it's all about the dog. My dogs love me 100% but i'm the only option. i've heard of times when someone will bring a dog home to be "their's" only to find it likes Boyfriend/husband/son/wife/daughter/grandma/whatever person living in home more. So don't be too upset if your "soul" dog isn't hte exact breed you want. just get the pups and have them be shared responsibility kind of like children.

When my Ex and I were still together and contemplating a life together. It required us to share responsiblity of our individual dogs as a family. His girl became mine and my boy was his in a sense. Yeah they had there seperate owners but I walked Jelly and cared for her and fed her and loved on her just as much as Jake for the time her owner and i were together.

I would recommend getting the shiba second. unless you get lucky and get one of those Not shiba shibas. I don't recommend them being first. Most of hte people i know that own shibas only have the one or if they have other dogs the shiba tends to be kinda ilke buzz off to the other dogs. But i've only met like 5 shibas. of the 5, 3 of them were really stand offish., 1 loved to be with people and would kiss on them and love them but hated other dogs, and 1 was like a "normal" friendly dog. he dug other dogs and woudl play with them. The latter two were younger then older dogs of different types in the homes. the one that liked people lived with a Chow chow mix that was extremely friendly with people and the Shiba. The one the was "normal" like other dogs lived with a lady that constantly fostered and he loved Dogs and people. Even she remarked it was strange.
[notify]
Leia

The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 7:01pm PST 
Hahaha, liking Shibas but growing up with Doxies - what an interesting mix!

Guest, it sounds like you know more about the ins and outs of Shiba training than I do (which is great!!), so I'll defer to your judgment. Hopefully we'll have one of our Shiba forums members come along and help you out as well. The reason why I said Shiba first is that, with many dogs, dog aggression is an issue that crops up unexpectedly after adolescence and can be fairly non-negotiable for that individual. It can be a lot less risky to put a puppy with a dog you already know won't be a problem because he or she is already grown. However, if your research says that Shiba aggression is trainable and that they bond to animals they are raised with, by all means - go Corgi first. Corgis will be easier to train by a long ways, and after their rock-em-sock-em-ness, a Shiba puppy might seem downright restful shock laugh out loud

As for the mental stimulation bit, Here is a blog run by a Shiba owner that has a lot of good tips for keeping the little guy entertained, as well as basic training and lifestyle advice. I ran across it when I went through my own Shiba-fever stage, and it was really helpful to me (mostly in deciding that a Shiba wasn't for me after all, haha). Spoiler alert - lots of food-based toys! I know that Corgis have relatively strong herding instincts, so herding classes would be a great outlet for them; alternatively, agility, flyball, treiball, or any other high-speed game-sport that lets them work mind and body at the same time. Even something as simple as getting a doggy pack for him to wear during walks can do wonders for dogs that need jobs; in that case, his job becomes toting around his own poo bags laugh out loud. Just be careful with packs on a Corgi, as their backs are prone to injury under stress - keep weight light and only after he is completely finished growing.

It's good to hear that the 'strict' parent's rules will be in general force - both dogs really, really need that structure. Just don't be too mad if your SO sometimes drops the ball on enforcement of the rules - I'm a softy too, and it's hard to be the discipliner! That's why I have a dog that's just as soft as I am wink All I can say is, expect it a little in the beginning, before things get all settled and sorted. It sounds like you have things well in hand; good job!!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 5:30am PST 
Just to clarify (but I can see where there could be misunderstanding)
SO raised with Doxies, SO wants Corgi (I think its the short legs, long body thing)

Jake & Sweet-Caroline:

I understand what you mean. Most of the time where the dog bonds with a non-caregiver is because they don't play by the 'rules' so the dog likes them more. (Not always though!). But I get what you mean.

Leia:

Thanks for the tips on exercise and mental stimulation! I agree that it'll be tough to not give in, but I think it will mostly be about treats (My SO's parents dogs are spoiled with treats, they are overweight and before they were severely overweight).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2