GO!

Toys for power chewers?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shadow

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 8:46am PST 
So I'm not sure what forum this topic should go in. None of them really seemed to apply. Since my dogs are on raw and it's sort of bone related. I figured I would post here. One of the dogs is a power chewer, she has destroyed a black kong. I was thinking about a deer or elk antler but then I heard that they can crack teeth. Does anyone have experience with giving their dogs antlers or another recommendation for a power chewer?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 12:01pm PST 
Antlers can crack teeth depending on the dog's chewing style. I would be hesitant to give an antler to a dog that ripped up a Kong, just because they'd probably try to chomp through an antler, which would very likely damage teeth.

My suggestion would be to look into toys that are hard for the dog to get a grip on to chew, like Jolly Balls and Jolly Eggs. Determined dogs can destroy a Jolly Ball, but they're supposed to be puncture resistant, so they should last a while and shouldn't damage teeth. Jolly Eggs are difficult for the dog to get its mouth around. My dog adores his Egg and hasn't been able to do more than scratch it.

As far as chews, you'll probably want to stick to things like Bully Sticks and edible bones. They won't last a dog like that a super long time, but aggressive chewing on them also won't damage teeth. If you order Bully Sticks online in bulk you can get much better prices than in a pet supply store and find much larger, thicker sticks that last longer. Bestbullysticks.com is where I get all of mine.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 2:15pm PST 
Have u tried the nylabones for powerful chewers?
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 2:39pm PST 
With our dogs any Kong toy is useless...they ripped up the Kong Ballistics too. There is a company called PetSport that makes a blue treat ball called the Mojo, it's lasted three months so far. That company also make tennis balls from ping pong sized to coconut sized...way sturdier than any other dog ball we've found so far and even if they pop through it, it stays intact.

Some non dog toys that have been good-roller hockey balls-tough rubber with a rubber core-they can dent them but not bite through. Helpful hint-at garage sales, thrift stores I collect footballs and soccer balls. You want to get field quality, not just inflated toys, a well made soccer ball or football can survive at least a few play sessions and if you spent a quarter for it you don't mind tossing out the pieces.

I'll also collect stuffed kids toys at the sales. My dogs don't eat stuffing, they just have a party ripping toys up, once again if you pay $2 for a bag of stuffed toys it's better than $10 for a dog toy that's going to shred just as fast. Not a good idea for dogs who might choke on eyes or stuffing...mine spit that stuff out.

Oh and the Mammoth Tire Biter-found it at Walmart-good sized chewy rubber tire, good for tug of war-and Callies teeth haven't even dented it yet.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 3:50pm PST 
How about a food puzzle? If you are up to it, can find a big enough one and can feed outside a head is the best one I have found. Max was completely unable to get through a 6 pound fur on llama head in four days of 45 minute sessions but was more satisfied than I have ever seen him. He isn't really a power chewer though. Somebody on that yahoo raw feeding list actually took a head apart and apparently they are only 30% bone. Max likes the creamy center best. Did I mention try this if you are up to it???

Sassy had to chew but never destroyed a kong. She helped me recycle those super strong Costco boxes that you can jump on without smashing by playing tug and tear. The recycling company wants cardboard in half moon shaped bits - right? She would pick them up after the carnage but never could figure out how to drop bits in the basket.

I give fuzzies to kill too. I tried reusing them by stuffing with rags but that is no fun for some reason.

A power chewer doesn't want to just chew, he/she wants to take apart so offering harder and harder puzzles won't really solve the problem.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 8:10pm PST 
Clyde is what I call a "rip & spit" type of power chewer where he will go to insane lengths to shred anything given to him and spit out every little piece he picks off. He has punctured a jolly ball in 2 hours! The best kind of toy for him is the occasional paper or cardboard object to tear up. He will even gladly shred our confidential documents destined for trash. laugh out loud

Even as the destruction-master puppy he was, he could have a black kong only because all he wanted do is pick tiny pieces off and spit them all over the floor. For Clyde, I've found the starmark gummy-type treat toys (blue and green), the vibram ball (only if your dog doesn't eat the pieces), and the kong squeez dumbell are the only toys that have stood the "test of time".puppy As far as edibles go, large Waggin' Train pigskin rolls were the ultimate toys for him, though we gave him those before the brand's reputation tanked. You would be hard-pressed to find big pigskin roll chews made outside China, but if you do, they're the best.puppy
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 9:26pm PST 
Consumer warning on Kong Dumbell...it lasted 1/2 an hour in our house...but if you keep the receipt Petco will refund you for the pieces...laugh out loud
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 10:49am PST 
Forgot Jolly Pets also has a line of zoo toys built to stand up to big cats and bears. Maybe those would give your dog a run for her money?

I also like Maxwell's idea of giving challenging meals on occasion. I've given pig heads, sheep heads, and huge whole rabbits, and those have kept him occupied for at least an hour.
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 11:55am PST 
She happily shreds any paper or cardboard that she can find. She will go into the bathroom and grab empty toilet paper rolls and go to town.

The head thing grosses me out so I don't think I can do that. Where do you get an animal head?

Are they being serious that those are actually a line of toys for zoo animals? Or they are just supposed to be super sturdy?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 12:03pm PST 
As far as I'm aware, they are really used by zoos for their animals.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2