GO!

Generalized Shedding/balding?? Not a problem??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Pixel

Christmas- Storgi!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 10:43pm PST 
Pixel (1 year old Staffy/Corgi mix) is shedding. And I don't just mean shedding. He's brindle and has short hair naturally anyway from his Staffy nature. But he's like...reaaaally shedding. His underside is going to be bald soon and he still has his normal brindle coat on his back and legs and stuff.

The weird part is that there's no discoloration or marks to suggest any type of mange, and it doesn't seem to be itchy or uncomfortable for him at all. He hasn't scratched himself once other than behind his ears (which still has hair).

Does anyone know what this could be? Weirdest thing I've ever had in any dog. If it's not a danger to his health I don't really care if he has hair or not, he's just as cute to me! But if it's an allergy that he's somehow just not bothered by then I'd like to know that.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 1:29am PST 
What do you feed him? Jake had a lot of excessive shedding and balding when he was on a low quality allergen filled food.

Your dog may have an allergy.
[notify]
Pixel

Christmas- Storgi!

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 9:48am PST 
Hmmm. We had him on Beneful at first and then switched to Nutro Natural Choice and it seems to persist. Is there a certain ingredient dogs tend to be sensitive to regardless of the food quality? And do vets actually do allergy tests? Sorry if I sound dumb as this is my first dog! :p
[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 8:12pm PST 
Vets do preform allergy tests but they can be costly.

He may have a protein allergy. Try a Limited Ingredient food.

I'm lucky my beagle is only allergic to fillers and pork. So as long as his food is corn, wheat, and soy free he's good. Same with treats.

Make sure you have also eliminated the possible allergens from all treats you give. wishes
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 10:34pm PST 
Also when doing an elimination diet. I recommend getting rid of all treats until you know what is causing the allergy. Example if you've gone to a corn free food but are still giving dog treats tat contain corn. That allergy won't go away. And it may take a few weeks for the allergic reaction to stop and for hair to begin growing back. The allergic reaction should stop once all the substance is out of the body but the hair may take some time to grow back.

Also if you go to the vet for this. Ask if it's a seasonal allergy to something like pollen or something. They give benedril for that.

Both my dogs are rather aggressive shedders as they are hound dogs. But Jake sheds excessively in response to seasonal allergies and being fed corn/wheat. He also gets this gross smell about him.

The quality of food comes from the ingredients put in. You need to read the ingredents on anything you're going to be feeding your dog until you can eliminate what may be the allergen if he has the allergy at all. You can also post here again asking for help with an elimination diet.

Good luck!
[notify]