GO!

Need a new food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Faith Free- CGC

I Wuff You!

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 9:27pm PST 
Faith is a 6 year old Dane and for the past 2 months she has been losing her hair. And not in big patches but it's thinning out and looking "moth eaten". I don't like bringing her places because she looks horrible and 4-H starts soon and I don't want her going looking like this. Right now she is on Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed and she gets Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil in all her meals and she is on a medicated shampoo but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. So maybe switching to a new food that would improve her skin and coat might help. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could switch her too? It has to be grain free because she has allergies.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 6:28am PST 
Has she had a skin scraping and blood work done? Those would be the first things I would do with a 6 year old dane.

As for the food I would recommend Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, Nature's Variety makes a grain free line called Instinct, Wellness also makes a grain free line called Core. It could very possibly be a corn/grain allergy and Eagle Pack contains corn and grains.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 3:41pm PST 
I agree. Toss out the corn and grains see if that works.

Jake isn't a dane but my neighbor owns one. She's also black and white. She eats pedegree Np but she also looks a bit "moth eaten" so I started giving her some home made treats that are grain free that i give my dog along with fish skin.

I basically use a glutten free flower (rice is my choice 2 cups) add an egg and a protein (1 can tuna or salmon or left over chicken whatever) and if you dog can handle flax seed (2 table spoons of flax. Make into a dough and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

Cut into bars and serve.

both jake and Etta's coats are shinnier and thicker.

You could also try adding more OMEGA 6 and 3 by giving baked fish skin, salmon skin ins my guys favorite. Or you can buy salmon skin treats.

TOTW is also a great food. I feed INstinct by Naturals Valley hen i'm not feeding raw.

Good luck.
[notify]

Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 6:55pm PST 
Agreeing with Jake adding some omega 3's and 6's to her diet might help also. I use Grizzly Salmon Oil(i buy it on amazon) with my guys if their coats are getting dried out or their skin is bothering them.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 7:17pm PST 
you may want to switch to a grain free biologically appropriate food such as Orijen. Canned food such as Weruva mixed in is another good idea and they have a great one called Jammin Salmon. Danes are pretty prone to bloat and grains exacerbate that problem. If the salmon oil isn't working try coconut oil. My dogs are doing great on it. Another great idea is a dehydrted raw such as The Honest Kitchen. Good Luck!
[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 8:12pm PST 
wink