GO!

Type of Leash used on TV Show "Pit Bulls and Parolees"

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Faith Free- CGC

I Wuff You!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 4:58pm PST 
I have become hook on the Animal Planet show and noticed that they dont use the normal clip on leashes for the dogs. But like a slip leash. Has anyone used this type of leash before? Any pros and cons to it? Ive seen them at my local pet store and wanted to buy one but wanted to hear from other people first.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:07pm PST 
They're slip leashes and do what slip leashes do. The collar size doesn't remain stationary, it constricts when pressure is put on the leash. But since they're so wide, they spread out the pressure pressing on the neck more than a skinner one would. They would put even less pressure on the neck if they were flat, rather than round.

For ethical reasons, I don't use slip leashes, but for safety reasons, I don't use them either because dogs can get out of them rather easily by accident or if they're smart enough to figure it out.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:25pm PST 
Slip leashes are VERY common for kennel type situations.....you will see them in shelters and you will see them with breeders who access kenneling. Vets also, oftentimes. They are very handy to reach for and very often dogs in kennels are bursting to get out....the very quick "on" of slip leashes is one of the reasons that makes them so handy. They are meant to be pretty short term though, just getting from A to B, rather than something to have as the main leash for your pet.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:28pm PST 
They use regular clip leashes most often when they actually have a collar on the dog - such as dogs already in their care or dogs they're more familiar with, but yes, they do use slip leashes too.

Purposes for it? To prevent dogs from escaping their collars(which is the only reason I use Martingales), quick and easy to use, and they're EXCELLENT for capturing loose/stray dogs because you don't need to carry around every size of collar there is and it prevents them from slipping loose if they try to run off or get scared. She does not use them for corrections, as she is positive reinforcement based and uses rewards when training.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:39pm PST 
if it's a slip lead then as tiller said it's really only for A to B situations. I keep a few in my car that i got from a vet for when i run across strays. It makes a nice lasso like rope to catch them and hold them from sliping when they try to get away. It's also useful i'm i'm trying to bath jake to get him into the bathroom so we cna start the process. I wouldn't recommend walking a dog on it since all they have to do if they're smart is be loose then slip their head right through.

So unless you're looking for a quick A-B collar I'd skip it.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 6:46pm PST 
Some bully sites will suggest Martingale collars for control and training. But it's only really for temporary training to a regular collar or harness. I found that a sturdy nylon harness is more secure to me and more comfortable for Callie. When a bully pulls on a regular collar you can feel like you're holding back a tank with a kite string. A harness distributes the weight so you have more control of the direction of their chest area. But a harness takes time to put on. That's why the slip collar is used for pound dogs, easy on and easy off.
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 3:31pm PST 
I use slip collars on 2 of mydogs for all walks. The typical slip leash is too short so by having a color attached to a normal size leash we have more leash to use. My min pin is a collar and harness escaper. She can pretty much get out of anything but the slip leash, she would try and bolt when she was scared or saw another dog. My lab mix wears one because well I had everyone in a martingale collar but the ones I had were incredibly hard to get off. My dogs do not wear collars in the house, only for walks and car trips somewhere. When I had to board them one time no one could get them off(including me)and they cut them off because they did not allow collars in their boarding facility. We used the slip leashes after training really...We switched from the prong collar to the martingale to the slip. My chi wears a harness and the saint still wears a martingale because the largest slip I could find didn't fit her...plus her martingale is super easy to loosen to get off!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 3:47pm PST 
Really it's trial and error for every dog. Sophie can slip out of a harness instantly but is good with a regular collar. I tried a martingale with her twice in the beginning and she made herself puke.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 4:00pm PST 
I walk Ty on a slip lead all the time. It's so simple to use and easier to just slip over his head when i pop him back on lead. Ty doesn't pull on the lead but as the lead acts similar to that of a choke chain you do have to make sure you've got it on the right way etc so it "releases" when the dog is walking on a loose lead.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 4:21pm PST 
I haven't seen the show, but I am familiar with slip leads.

Actually, my first encounter with them was sort of pushed on us. My mother won a contest with Pet Valu and we got to choose a prize of our choice, so we grabbed a nice thick leash, that happened to be a slip lead.

Most often, I use mine for agility trials. The dogs are not to wear collars (or anything else) whilst in the ring, so a slip lead to me was easier than taking off the collar - and putting the collar back on at the end of the run.

If you use them for regular walks, I prefer the ones with the little stoppers on them.
That way you can "stop" it at the appropriate point so the dog cannot slip out due to it being too loose, but it will still tighten.

The other ones are a little easier to slip out of if the dog allows the leash to slack and backs up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2