GO!

Uncontrollable Barking - PLEASE HELP!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rosey Belle- Stewart

Mommy, let\'s- Snuggle!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 4:34am PST 
So, my chihuahuas, Sweetpea and Rosey bark all the time, and it drives us all nuts. They bark when someone that's not a member of the house hold comes in. We always dread when company comes over. We know they are gonna bark their heads off. It's out of control. It's like there's no stopping it. I've tried raising my voice and telling them to HUSH! I've tried putting them in another room, everything. I hate to admit it, and please don't think I'm an animal abuser, because I love my dogs more than anything, but I've even popped them on the butt. They also bark if they here the tiniest noise. How can I make them stop barking and being so un-ruley? (spelling?) Please help me....
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 5:49am PST 
I have no idea if you're an animal abuser or not, but in general saying "I love my ________ more than anything so I can't be an abuser," is not an accurate statement. If anybody is an abuser it doesn't matter how much they love or say they love, their dogs. I've also heard people say things like that about humans that they abuse (I volunteer with a domestic violence program). I'm certainly not saying you're an abuser of anybody, but also, please know that saying you love somebody (animal or human) so you're not an abuser would come off as really offensive and triggering to a lot of people.

As for the barking, do they amp each other up? What if you put them each in a separate room?

Also, and I'd try this with them each individually, can you get a friend to work with you. Have great treats on hand. Have somebody take one of your dogs on a walk so it can't distract the other, and then have your friend knock on the door. Give the dog you're working with a treat as long as they're quiet. I would think clicker training would be helpful in marking the quiet behavior.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 8:39am PST 
I have GSDs..they alert bark. It is their job. But I don't need to know when a leaf or plastic bag is blowing down the street.
There are 2 ways to deal with barking. The first is to teach them to bark on cue. Often, if they get a treat for barking on cue, they stop barking randomly.
This did not work for me.
I taught "enough". They bark...I check to see what they're barking at, then tell them "enough" & they stop. It takes time, patience, & consistency, but it can be done.
I've got that flu, so my head is spacey. Hopefully someone can give you the steps.
[notify]

Lucy

Im a Tear-ier

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:13am PST 
The thing i did was put some coins in a coke can and when they bark I shake the can and it will get there attention and tell them no.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:04am PST 
I taught Lenny to speak on command, and in addition tell them "thank you! I see it!" or the equivalent of "enough" I guess. It's just my way of communicating, yes I know you have a reason for barking and now I know about it and now you can stop lol I rewarded with praise/play/and sometimes treats for them stopping the barking and gradually it has decreased and when I tell them thank you thats all, they cut it out. Mine are hounds so I couldn't see myself getting them to totally stop barking at all... but I can find that compromise where I'm happy and not totally annoyed and they can still enjoy their crazed barking to some degree.

I would guess working them one at a time would be easier.
[notify]
Rosey Belle- Stewart

Mommy, let\'s- Snuggle!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:49am PST 
Thanks everyone for the great tips! And thank you Ezra for making me feel really small and "spanking my hand" and taking what I said wrong. You seem to be the only one who took offense to what I said. I wasn't trying to offend anyone and I wasn't trying to say, I love my dogs, so therefore I can't be an abuser. I was just trying to say I DON'T abuse my dogs and that I love them. I realize that there are people out there that claim to love people or animals, and yet they abuse. I'm not one of them. You may not have been trying to say that I'm an abuser, but it sure felt like it.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:19am PST 
How much and what kind of exercise do they get? What training have you done with them? Evaluate why they are barking i.e. are they under-socialized and fearful of strangers? Bored, lacking physical/mental stimulation?

For barking at visitors or over the top greetings, I like to teach the dog to go lie down on a mat. It’s much harder to get all worked up and bark hysterically or jump all over visitors when you are concentrating on holding a down-stay. You would need to work with both dogs separately, and slowly build up the three D’s (duration, distance, distraction.) Although initially trained with food, if your dogs like guests, later the reward for good, calm behavior can be being allowed to greet them.

If you Google ‘go to mat,’ there are lots of demo videos on YouTube.
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:38am PST 
I'm really sorry you took such offense at what I said. I was really hurt by what you said and I tried to make it clear that I didn't think you were a bad person, but that I was hurt and offended by your statement. "and please don't think I'm an animal abuser, because I love my dogs more than anything"

If I say something that hurts somebody I want them to tell me, so I can learn from it. Anyway I don't want the thread to get off topic, so I also agree with the advice to teach them to speak, and then by quiet. Good luck!
[notify]
Rosey Belle- Stewart

Mommy, let\'s- Snuggle!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 3:10pm PST 
Thanks guys! I'll try everything you suggested.

Ezra- Even though I'm not sure why you were so hurt by my statement in my first post, I'm sorry that you were hurt by it. I guess we both hurt each other's feelings. red face I honestly wasn't trying to offend anyone. I mean for goodness sake, that statement in my first post was about myself lol. Anyway,thanks for the dog advice and again, I'm sorry. flowers
[notify]
Piper &- Molly

We Love Barking!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 2:53pm PST 
Rosey,

How is it going with the barking? Anything working? I am in the same place you were when you wrote your post.

I have 2 dachshunds that bark at every single noise imaginable, and many noises that aren't there. One of them is a full-size Doxie and you WOULDN'T BELIEVE HOW LOUD she can bark....it's insanity.

I'm starting to not even like our dogs....I'm always on edge wondering when the hell they are going to bark next, and for how long.

So yea, if anything worked for you I would love to hear it.

Cheers.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2