GO!

Grinding Raw Bones

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Pedro

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 7:07pm PST 
Hello,

I'm new to dogster and new to the do it yourself raw. A little history- I have been feeding Pedro a raw organic diet from DarwinsPet.com for about 6 mos and its going great. However 108$ per 20lbs order for one dog is too much, especially since I'm wanting to switch my other chihuahua and my upcoming rottweiler puppy to that as well.

Since my dogs are small I need to grind the bones. Any experience using the KitchenAid mixer attachment for this? Any suggestions? I found an old thread with this topic from 2010, but would love some updated advice!
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 8:45am PST 
Hi, any particular reason you need to grind bones?

I have never used a grinder but from my understanding the KitchenAid attachment may not meet this demand... you might need something a little more robust/industrial. There are some people with grinders on here so hopefully one of them may chime in with an exact name and model for you -- I know sometimes they are costly new, but maybe you could find a used one somewhere.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 3:49pm PST 
It's really not necessary to grind the bone. I have an 8 lb dog and she can eat all kinds of bones. But for the smallest of dogs, I suggest chicken necks and chicken wing pieces.

Little dogs really benefit from chewing raw meaty bones, their mouths are small and compact and so their teeth are harder to stay clean.

type in "chihuahua eating raw" on youtube to see tons of videos of little dogs taking on those raw meaty bones! Dogs have very strong jaws!
[notify]

Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 5:22pm PST 
Brody is barely 5 pounds and he does GREAT with bones. You will be surprised. Give your dogs a chance.

His favorite is cornish hens. He eats all of that. He can also gnaw on the ends of pork, venison, and beef ribs.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 11:05pm PST 
I doubt that the Kitchen Aid Attachment could successfully grind bones unless you're like the Hulk. From what I know, Kitchen Aid can grind chicken bones and all those smaller stuff, but not other bones. You might want to take a look at this grinder that is a lot more heavy duty than the Kitchen Aid Attachment. http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/lem777.html
[notify]
Pedro

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 7:15am PST 
Unfortunately I do need to grind the bones not just because the dogs are 4 and 5 lbs but the smaller one has no teeth frown

He is a rescue and was not taken well care of previously. So he can only handle soft food or very small particles or harder things which he has to basically swallow whole.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 8:48am PST 
"a little more robust/industrial"

I agree with this kitchen aid is probably not enough. It might do tiny parts of chicken, but it might wear it out over time.

I remember there was a thread that reccomended a grinder for their own mix of raw making.. I forgot the brand sorry..

I wish the search function was bit better.

I'll have to look later.

Yeah missing teeth is an issue. My cat had couple teeth missing luckily he had some, but he had trouble eating raw, but did well just took longer then our other cat on the treat days.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 4:36pm PST 
I'm not going to rehash the "why grind?" issue except to mention that in addition to edible bone content in the form of ground bone you should make sure to be letting the guys who are at a dental disadvantage chew on RMBs anyway. They might not be able to ingest a sufficient amount of edible bone, but chewing will help keep the gums and teeth they do have in good condition and the isometric exercise with help keep the facial muscles (and others) toned.

A KitchenAid mixer won't be able to grind even soft bones like chicken and rabbit for long. You're likely to wear out the motor eventually and be out a KitchenAid. They're powerful for what they are and totally awesome (don't know what I'd do without mine), but not designed for the job of grinding bone. You'll need to invest in a grinder for the purpose. From what I understand you need at least one-horsepower grinder, which can be had for about $150 on the cheap end. Anything less will ultimately be a waste of money, as it will break or just not work. 1HP and up will do chicken bone fine, but to graduate to bigger bone you're looking at industrial equipment that even a lot of small commercial raw food companies can't afford!
[notify]