GO!

I feel like a bad "parent"...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Winston

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:40am PST 
My dogs are soon to be 5 and 6 and I have not brushed their teeth ONCE! I feel really bad, especially because the vet mentioned the plaque on Winston's teeth. I cannot afford to get them professionally cleaned. If I become deligent with his oral care, can I slow down the need for him to get them cleaned? What are the best products (brushes, toothpaste, water treatments) that you GOOD parents have used!? big grin
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 6:35am PST 
well if you have never brushed winstons teeth before you might want to consider one one that you put on your index finger...it fits right on your finger. It helps get the dog used to having somehting in their mouth instead of this foreign object such as a tooth brush. After some time, once the dog is becoming used to it, you could switch to a regular doggie tooth brush. Overall, it's better because the bristles clean a little more.

I'm not a toothpaste expert but i think any in the store would be fine. Usually after I brush their teeth they get a treat...one of those dental chews...i don't use greenies, but i'll use a dental stick to help a bit. It works because now my dogs look forward to having their teeth brushed! laugh out loud
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 6:36am PST 
and let me just say...i think even for dog lovers and those who do their best to take care of their dogs, teeth brushing is still kind of a foreign concept. So, at least you are willing to do it. you aren't a bad parent wink
[notify]

Sausage

feed me

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 9:39am PST 
Get one of those flavoured tooth pastes! Utterly pleasant when your dog loooves tooth brushings because there's liver paste being shoved in their mouth laugh out loud

Minor plaque is possible to scrape off with your fingernail, if your dog lets you. Don't use any metal instruments though, as that could hurt their teeth.

I know some people use this product called PlaqueOff, which is pricey, but not as pricey as professional teeth cleaning.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 9:51am PST 
Huck is 5 and Ringo is 4 and I too have never brushed their teeth, but when I take them to the vet, the dr. is amazed at what great teeth that they both have. Bright white and no tarter. He tells me to keep up whatever I'm doing, but i'm not doing anything. They both love their big beef bones and that's whats keeping their teeth clean.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 1:36pm PST 
Never brushed Sanka's teeth. Well, I tried it, but just never got into a routine and it quickly died out.

I took him to the vet for a dental because I wanted him to have one. He didn't really need one, as per the vet's observation too. He was 12 years old!

There are several ways to help dogs' teeth, and brush is only one way. So, don't feel bad at all. I'm sure an anonymous dogster poll would reveal more caring owners who don't brush their dogs' teeth either.wink
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 8:59pm PST 
Well, let him chew on florentine fennel stalks. That's the kind that makes a bulb for cooking with. Those are kind of like celery with long fibers but sweeter tasting and they floss a mouth if the dog likes to eat them. raw meaty bones also help with the brushing. Plaque and tartar are tough to et rid of without a scaling, but a scaling can damage the teeth too. Don't scale your dog's teeth yourself. Myrrh oil also works very well. put some on a cloth and rub your dog's teeth and gums with it. The same thing goes for witch hazel, only be sure you get it as the water tincture and not the alcohol tincture.

Other than that, we brush foxxy and taggert's teeth with nutravet enzymatic chicken flavored. We tried hartz dentifrice but they don't like it as much. Don't use human toothpaste. It's not just about the flouride, xylitol is toxic to dogs, and it's in all of the toothpastes these days, even Toms of maine propolis and myrrh, which is flouride free.

I also might add, it's more important to brush a bitch's teeth because estrogen causes inflamed gums and pregnant dogs get peridontal disease very easily if you are not watching. Foxxy has struggled with tartar and gingivitis ever since we got her, but Taggert has never had a problem, and I think part of the reason is that we got Fox after her puppy was old enough to live on its own. She already had a ring of tartar on her canines that we haven't solved even with diligent attention to her fangs.

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 9:10pm PST

[notify]
Winston

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 9:04am PST 
Thanks everyone! My dogs aren't really chewers, they've never even had a bone. Winston like nylabones as a puppy but stopped chewing around age 2. The fact that they don't chew is what makes me nervous. They have bad allergie and Winston is gluten intolerant so I am leary of the dental bones. I live in an apartment, so giving them raw bones on my carpet is a NO NO. I don't have the outdoor space to let them chew. Maybe I'll try brushing, if not I will look into the alternatives everyone suggested. Thanks so much for the help!
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 9:33am PST 
I LOATHE brushing Tohbi's teeth. So, it doesn't happen very often. I feel your pain.

My father used to hear me moan about having to brush his teeth and he'd push me about it. "It can't be that bad" and all that. So I brought the paste and the brush to him and told him to try it.

He never mentioned it again.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:29am PST 
I have never brushed any dogs teeth. Sabs is 11 and hers are getting a bit bad now, but not horrid. If you are interested I give my dogs ice to chew on, just plain ice. They love it, think its the best thing ever. Kong makes a treat ball that has dental ridges, and tug ropes also help by acting like floss.
Sometimes in training people discourage chewing to the point where the dogs get the idea that ANY chewing is bad. It's no ones fault it just happens.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2