GO!

Dog to be euthanized after biting a person who was beating him

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 6:02pm PST 
I usually try to stay out of things like this but I can help it...im confused and am hoping someone can explain this situation to me.

From what I am understanding this dog is a registered service dog and was being beaten with a metal pole when it bit the person beating it. now the court wants to put it down because it is considered "vicious". But when i read the law it says that the animal is only considered vicious if it bites without provocation...am i misunderstanding something?

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/2744-disabled-v eteran-asks-for-public-support-service-dog-faces-euthanasia-for-biti ng-woman-who-beat-him-with-metal-pole

Thanks for anyone who can help me understand this.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 7:03pm PST 
Was just about to post about this, you beat me to it.

Please, I hope everyone will help save Dutch and sign the petition provided on the page in the link the OP has provided.

This was a provoked bite. His original owner was beating him for some unspecified reason, first with their hands and then with a metal pole while outside. The owner then took Dutch inside where apparently she did something around his mouth/face and he finally did bite her on the leg.

The dog was taken to the vet, who was able to examine him without restraints even with a swollen face, and also passed (with flying colors) several exams to see if he had aggression.

The owner did not require stitches, but wants him put down. The judge ordered him euthanized even though it was a provoked attack simply because that while the beating took place outdoors, he did not bite her until they were indoors...shrug

Please sign the petition, and get others to sign it.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 7:57pm PST 
That poor dog should be released to his owner immediately and someone should go after that woman with a pole...unbelievable they would blame the dog...
[notify]

Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:18pm PST 
He doesn't need a petition he needs an interlocutory appeal and a good lawyer.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:37pm PST 
Is there a petition to beat the woman with a metal pole? I'll sign that one.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:25pm PST 
I have a few questions..

Why was a SERVICE DOG left with someone else and not taken with? I mean, I get it in certain circumstances, they aren't always needed.. But I feel the question is fair.

Also... the Vet palpitated his testicles too... Isn't it far more common, if not recommended and generally practiced, to have an SD neutered to prevent interest in other intact dogs so they can do their job without distraction?

Also, they Judge may be claiming that the bite was separate from the beating, but she carted the dog into her house right after and proceeded to GRAB HIS MUZZLE - admittedly so, which was WHEN he bit. Further provocation if you ask me. He already felt threatened, showed substantially good control over himself during the beating, and probably felt threatened all over again when she grabbed at his muzzle.

This is just a piss off all around, really.

There's quite a few holes in the story itself... I can understand the Judge ruling his retirement from being an SD, or ruling rehabilitation, and evaluations, etc... But none of this is happening. The Judge is going completely on what the previous owner(WHO BEAT THE DOG IN THE FIRST PLACE) says and wants.

I'm disgusted.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 7:24am PST 
Unfortunately, this is all too common in dog bite situations. The abusive psycho usually is the one who wins in these end.
We knew someone who, years ago, had a troubled 5-year-old kid from a negligent family next door find a way into their fenced yard where their Newfie was while they were away. Apparently, the kid cornered their dog and proceeded to beat the dog's face with a plastic baseball bat for an unspecified amount of time. The dog bit the kid in the face, only causing enough injury to get him a few stitches. They had to put the poor dog down for being "dangerous".

One thing I really don't understand about this story is why the FORMER owner has much say in whether or not the dog gets surrendered to a rehab facility. The animal is not her property. And I really don't get why the judge decided that the bite was a separate occasion. Put a human in the dog's shoes and it would be common sense that he was defending himself. If we gave Trayvon the benefit of the doubt in the Zimmerman case, it seems obvious that this dog and his owner, who was in a much more clear case of self-defense, should not be treated like criminals.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 8:11am PST 
Unfortunately, dogs don't have human rights.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 10:33am PST 
Ths kind of bias is what scares me somtimes about my dogs. We have an unstable famiy member who's been know to swoop down looking for trouble. If he appeared and the dogs went after him defending us, they could still be declared dangerous dogs. Now if I smashed him with a heavy lamp before the dogs stepped in it would be an assaualt charge on me, but protect the dogs, hope it never goes that far
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 11:06am PST 
I agree that not everything is clear about what happened. Two things though, first he was tested for aggression and was cleared; second, the woman admitted to beating him, so it was definitely provoked. Ordering euthanasia, imo, is taking things too far simply to appease the woman who was bitten (she refused any other deals). Apparently she was watching Dutch because they went on a trip, I am not sure if Dutch was certified before or after this took place, as they mentioned something about continuing his training in the hopes that the judge would take that into account or something like that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2