GO!

New puppy need advice!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Daisy

Daisy-I love to- cuddle!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 5:02pm PST 
She is 10 weeks,english bulldog/heeler mix. Is it ok to use a pet carrier,for crate training? And she wants to chew on me or my cloths instead of her toy's.How do I get her interested in the toys?
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 10:59pm PST 
First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on getting a new puppy! party Yes, you can get pet carriers. Make sure your puppy can stand up, turn around and lie down in it.

As for your dog not playing with your toys, you can try introducing different types of toys to her. You could also show her that you are interested with the toy. Talk to her in a goofy and cheerful voice. Toss the toy her way but don't throw the toy at her. If she shows interest, hide the toy and then play with it the same way you did earlier until she feels comfortable playing with it. However, if she's still uninterested in that toy after several attempts, try using another toy.

If that doesn't work, you can try providing incentives for her. For example, if she plays with the toy, she gets a treat after playing with it. And don't forget to praise your dog too. big grin
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 1:08pm PST 
Provide the proper toys and if she chews on you in any way - stop playing, get up and ignore her for 60 seconds. Shunning is an effective way to let a pup know what is NOT acceptable behavior.

Get her some interesting chews, nothing cloth so she won't be confused with socks and underwear.
BONES, BONES, BONES!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 1:42pm PST 
Not sure how much EB got passed down on your genetic mix, but EBs do not do well on pet carriers because it lacks proper ventilation for an EB. EBs need wire crates. Also EBs are quite strong barrel-chested dogs. They can break the plastic on the door of a pet carrier.

I have 2 EBs but they're both pure breeds so may not have the same characteristics as your dog.
[notify]
Bailey

There's nothing- in my mouth, I- swear!

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 1:59pm PST 
Pet carriers work fine as long as, like said, there's enough space to stand up and be comfortable in. Make sure it's not too big though, where she could have an accident and not be stuck sitting in it, that can really slow down the house training process smile

As for the toys. What we did with Bailey was just re-direct her. If Daisy starts chewing on your clothes just say a stern "No." or "Ah-ah" and give her a chew toy. Once she DOES chew it (even if it's just putting it in her mouth) praise her a lot and let her know thats good. Try other toys too, if she doesn't like rubber you can get some plush toys, puppies often like the softer feel smile Good luck! And Daisy's adorable by the waysmile
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 2:04pm PST 
My puppy will be 10 weeks old tomorrow to. She is really bad about chewing on my hands and clothes. I usually just put a bone into her mouth or squeak a toy. If that does not work I have tried leaving her play area when she insists on biting me. It works very well, it took her 4 times of her biting my hands and me getting up and going for her to realize what was going on and she stopped.

In the past I have tried using the method of making a loud high pitched noise, resembling her litter mates, but it just gets her more excited to bite harder!

It has been tough to keep up because other members of my household let her continue to chew on them, they think its cute. So make sure everyone is on board when you begin to train her!
[notify]
Daisy

Daisy-I love to- cuddle!

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 2:49pm PST 
Thank you all! I got her to play with a stuffed mouse that's the cat's today.It's smaller.What treats are good for puppies???I haven't bought any yet because I wasn't sure what one's to get!I did get minnie rawhide bone chew thing's,she doesn't want anything to do with them though.Thank you for the tip about not using the plastic carrier,I will get her the other as soon as I can!She looks more eb than healer right now,real wide legs and feet,stockey.
And is it normal for her to spend most of her time on my lap right now!!!!!

Edited by author Tue Feb 5, '13 2:52pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 11:15pm PST 
Try to choose something without too many additives, chemicals etc. The Biljac liver treats (and the frozen Biljac food too) are good, small biscuits are good for your pups' teeth and the peanut butter flavor is always popular. Freeze-dried liver treats can be a bit pricey, but all dogs love them and they're healthy too.

When you're choosing a food for your new puppy, make sure it's a high quality one and stay away from the cheaper, grocery-store brands. A growing puppy needs a good source of quality nutritional ingredients.
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 6:10am PST 
Frozen peas, frozen blueberries, and little bits of carrots are all big hits with my dog. They're way cheaper than any kind of dog treat, low calorie, and healthy. Just make sure you check with your vet before giving a new type of food, some things like grapes are toxic to dogs.
[notify]