GO!

Any opinions on Royal Canin Anallergenic dog food for a dog with severe allergies

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Prissy

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 10:27am PST 
Hey I have a dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and the vet just recently changed her food because found out that she has severe allergies to food and she has allergies to grass, she also had inflammatory bowel disease and the vet said royal canin anallergenic food is good for dogs with allergies and inflammatory bowel disease. Anybody has a dog that eat that food.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 10:51am PST 
just to add, in the health forum, she mentioned her other food allergies were:

she is allergic to chicken, eggs,dairy products, grain,she is also allergic to grass and beef and lamb

I suggested she ask over here in the food and nutrition forum to see if there were possibly other alternatives to royal canin, perhaps a fish based grain free food? I thought maybe wellness core ocean, but may others have other suggestions OR even think the royal canin is her best option at this time?

P.S. Prissy...I couldn't find royal canin analallegenic food? Is that the name of it or is it possible you misspelled it?

Edited by author Mon Feb 4, '13 10:56am PST

[notify]
Prissy

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 11:25am PST 
Hey sorry it is Royal Canin Anallergenic food
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 11:56am PST 
Oh god... The ingredients..

Royal Canin Anallergenic:
"Corn starch, hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate, coconut oil, soybean oil, natural flavors, potassium phosphate, powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate, sodium silico aluminate, chicory, L-tyrosine, fructooligosaccharides, fish oil, L-lysine, choline chloride, taurine, L-tryptophan, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium panthotenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavine (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], DL-methionine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), histidine, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid."

What about Acana Pacifica or Orijen Six Fish?

Acana Pacifica:
"INGREDIENTS
Boneless salmon, salmon meal, herring meal, whitefish meal*, green peas, red lentils, whole potato, boneless herring, boneless flounder, herring oil, field beans, canola oil, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fibre, natural fish flavour, whole apples, whole pears, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach greens, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary

* ACANA’s whitefish meal contains wild-caught flounder, halibut and Alaskan cod.

SUPPLEMENTS
Vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product."

Orijen Six Fish:
INGREDIENTS
Fresh boneless salmon*, salmon meal, herring meal, fresh boneless herring*, fresh boneless walleye*, russet potato, sweet potato, peas, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), fresh boneless lake whitefish*, sun-cured alfalfa, fresh boneless flounder*, fresh boneless northern pike*, pea fiber, organic kelp, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, blueberries, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium. *"

You can also look into Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet dog food too. You can check out the various formulas they have here. They're really awesome for dogs with lots of allergies too, because they're limited ingredients and are limited to one protein source(one meat source, rather) per formula.

Hope these suggestions help. I work in a Pet Health and Nutrition shop and MOST of the dogs with allergies that come in, are on the Natural Balance L.I.D foods. smile

All the foods listed above, including the Wellness Core Ocean are all better in terms of healthy foods than the Royal Canin. We actually recently took Royal Canin off our shelves and are phasing out the last of what we have because they're now including by-products in their food too.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 12:10pm PST 
Addiction also has a wild kangaroo & apples food that is a unique protein source. Or venison. There are a lot of better foods out there than royal canin.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 1:34pm PST 
In my opinion, your dog is the perfect candidate for a Raw Food Diet. You get full control of what goes in your dog's food so you can minimize allergy triggers.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 5:31pm PST 
No severe allergies here.

That food is meant to be used to let the body take a break from all the inflammation going on. Once things cool down in a couple months then try a simple kibble, even better would be a simple canned food, better yet cooking a novel starch and novel protein food and the best would be to feed raw as guest mentioned. Whatever food you decide to try make sure it doesn't have any ingredients you have ever fed before.

And if you truly cannot find anything else that works that food with that synthetic looking list of ingredients is just fine if she gets complete relief from her pain. That is what it is all about, right?
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:48am PST 
Maxwell that's true...I have heard of kibble with less, limited ingredients to help dogs with allergies.

I figured there were better alternatives than the royal canin, and I'm not a fan, but when I had recurring UTIs, I ate their prescription urniary so food. I have to admit, it helped. No more crystals, UTIs after eating it. I just knew with allergies, there were other alternatives out there. I'm glad others chimed in here way to go
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:04am PST 
I can't seem to figure out how to change myself out of Guest...

Okay, another thing to consider... Cornstarch is the first ingredient. Corn is high protein but has low digestability in dogs. I believe it is only about 40% if not less. The second ingredient - Hydrolized poultry by-products. There is a strong indication that the meat on that dog food is from questionable sources which may include roadkill and birds that died from disease. The meat could also possibly be made mostly out of offal and bird feet/heads and not muscle meat.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 8:20am PST 
here's an excellent video on food allergies

Dr. Karen Becker: How to Control Food Allergies
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2