GO!

Please tell me NOT to get a puppy!!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:14pm PST 
As I've mentioned around here, I'm planning to bring home a new dog around mid-March. I've been very set on an adult dog from the beginning for various reasons (I work full time, I want to run/exercise with the dog right away, puppies are soooo much work, etc. etc.). HOWEVER, I just found out that my absolute dream breeder has a few girl puppies (I have a preference for girls) that will be available mid-March...just exactly when I want to bring home a new dog. What's worse, the breeder is someone I've contacted before and I know she already likes me.

Now, I already know I do NOT want a puppy...but the timing is so freaky and the lines are so good and I am just. so. tempted!! So, Dogsters, I need your help. Return me to my senses. Please tell me why I should NOT get a puppy. Horror stories, general information, all welcome. I need an intervention before I do something really dumb, like tell her I want one.

Edit: I would have posted this to Puppy Place, but I was afraid they'd be too biased in favor of their puppies over there. laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Feb 1, '13 4:15pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:30pm PST 
You know, my son told me the other day that you don't go to a dog loving forum to get talked out of getting a dog and he was laughing pretty hard when he said itbig laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:40pm PST 
Bunny! big laugh OK, you have a point.

I was hoping maybe some adult dog enthusiasts could at least help me out, though!
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:46pm PST 
You are going to be so sorry I saw this post firstlaugh out loud

I really do believe things happen for a reason. Puppies are not that much workwink I mean, getting up at 4 am to let a puppy out to pee isn't that difficult. Who needs unchewed furniture/socks/underwear? What's wrong with a puppy getting up on the table and eating all the tops of your bluerry muffins? shrug
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 5:17pm PST 
It must be Written, you need a puppy, Yupbig laugh send pictures as soon as you have any of your new little girl. happy dance

way to godog walk
[notify]
Willow

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 5:17pm PST 
Yes, and remember how fun it is to step in cold pee with your socks!laugh out loud
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 5:40pm PST 
Very simple-I don't know if you've ever had a human toddler, but ask yourself...if a human toddler landed on your doorstep right now would you be ready? For the potty training, the pee and poop until they figured out the potty, getting up at night for trips to the potty or nightmares, do you work full time and can you fit a little one into that, the unbridled sheer energy...Then ultimately trying to turn this little bolt of lightning into a calm responsible adult?

Unlike adding a kitten to the family, food bowl, water and litterbox and you're good to go a puppy is work...but it can certainly be done, is up to youbig grinbig grinshock
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 5:54pm PST 
I'm an avid adult dog enthusiast.

The puppy phase is not for me. I work and go to school, and try to have a social life somewhere in the middle so I do NOT have the time for a puppy. The 4 hour potty breaks (and that's being generous... we all know sometimes it's every 2 hours or less depending on the puppy) standing outside at like 2am in your pajamas waiting for the little thing to pee. Puppies are not puppies, they are land sharks and I don't want to go through the terribly nippy and bite phase. No thanks. I don't like a puppy that chews on everything and having to supervise them every second that they are out and about, even tethering them to you.

When we adopted our second dog (estimated 3-4 years) he was fantastic. Already had the idea of house training, even scratched to go outside on his first night with us. Like already mentioned, no one likes stepping in a puddle of pee in your socks. WIth an adult you can jump right into exercise and going places (remember you're limited to pups going on the floor until they have all their shots so taking them places can be a pain).

If you're looking to do sports, and adult dog is matured and full grown so physically they're ready for it. Obviously depending on the dog's past you'll have to work on obedience and build up to it, but instead of waiting for two years or a year and a half for that puppy to grow up so you can really get into the more physically demanding sports (minus the puppy classes that can help prepare the sports which are still fun and all that). But minus sports you can take an adult hiking and biking and all that good stuff. A puppy cannot.

ETA: Puppies leave uncertainty to their personality. I mean of course with a breeder pup there's less uncertainty there cause they know their dogs and how they should be in general... but as far as personality quirks and a dogs adult energy level you won't have a true idea of this until the dog is an adult.

You chose an adult for good reasons that YOU knew were better for you. Sometimes it's better to stick to the plan wink

Edited by author Fri Feb 1, '13 6:00pm PST

[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 6:20pm PST 
Lisa, I think you should simply put a lot of thought into this.....I am sure you already are of course. But you know your life style and what you can and cannot do at the present moment better then anyone here does. Weigh out the pro's and cons. And do what would be best for both you and the potential pup. You said you have a full time job, perhaps then you wouldn't have time for said puppy......also while you are working will there be someone available to let the puppy out for a pee during the day, as a full day at work is a long time to try and hold a pee. If you feel that you just wont have the time to raise a puppy right now, then you also need to think of the puppies needs and what will be fair. That being said, puppy's are puppy's and incredibly hard to say no to.....and it could be a sign, maybe you are meant to have a pup. I had Mika and adopted her when she was already an adult dog. I have raised puppies before and am fully aware of the time and work and love they need. So I thought in my life right now I couldn't do the puppy thing, so we got Mika. And it worked out perfect. She is such a great dog and fit in perfect with our family. I do some volunteer work at a shelter nearby and........one day about 2 months ago a few little husky puppies came in. They had been stuck in a small cage all together for their whole life and were treated very badly. There was one little pup that caught my eye, she was the smallest out of all of them and just looked so scared and had a huge need to be loved and I couldn't resist. I have a 2 year old daughter and a 9 year old daughter also, and 2 cats and Mika.....but I simply could not resist. I adopted her. And although we have had some rough patches and it does get stressful because it is as if my 2 yr old daughter now has a twin also going through the terrible two's phase it seems. But I do not regret adopting her, not one little bit! She is a sweet pup, and it makes you feel proud seeing all of the progress you make with them and how smart they are and just the love and cuddles you get.
So I know this probably hasn't helped you one little bit, but it is my two cents and just know that whatever decision you make, we will try and help you with things. I am sure you will make the right decision for you and the potential pup.
Good Luck!! way to go
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 6:52pm PST 
Alright. Do not get a puppy. Better ?thinking. We look forward to the pictures laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3