GO!

Recalling when they feel like it

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 8:05am PST 
Lily has started to come back when she feels like it. After we call her she will take her sweet time coming back or she will start to come back then take off again to run around some more. Advice? Suggestions?
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 8:56am PST 
Have special treats that are only for the time when she is off leash. If they are common treats she gets daily, they wont be as special. So when you take her out off leash make sure she knows you have those 'special' treats and call her back a few times and give her one so she knows when she returns to you it's a good reward, also dont only call her back to you once when it is time to go inside or she will know hey when I go back to my owner play time is over!! Call her back a few times, praise and give a treat and let her continue on, then when it's time to go, it's time to go in. Hope that helps a bit, Good Luck! way to go
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 9:21am PST 
We already do all of that. shrug
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 9:29am PST 
I would start using a long line. I was told years ago to never, ever give a command I wasn't prepared to back up. You can let her drag the line but make sure you can grab it or step on it before you call her. Also go back to basics, do multiple recalls in a confined space. When Shadow is loose in the house I keep treats in my hand and periodically call her just to give her a treat. We also practice in the yard.
I never use a recall to take her inside. I play until she comes on her own for pets then give lots of praise and take her in.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 10:09am PST 
I thought about using a long line. I have a 15ft line but I'm worried it might get snagged because we walk in the woods and she runs through the trees. It's like all she wants to do is run now. I guess she likes the snow. laugh out loud
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 10:43am PST 
What're you calling her back for ?

What worked for us was waiting until Nare would check in, and he would get a jackpot of treats.
After a few times, start whistling or saying your recall word as he was coming towards us. But you have to keep the energy up. Whistling would be lots of little high pitch chirps, calling him is "YesyesyesNaresyNaresyGoodBoyHereherehere!"
Or whatever I could spit out of my mouth. laugh out loud

I've also started watching his body language, if his head isn't up, hes not coming. If his head is below shoulder level he is sniffing-- nothing can break him out off a track.
He also won't stop peeing or thinking about peeing, I could call him and he'll lift his leg up.

But he'll stop chasing horses, cats, rabbits, etc. for a recall... So I dunno.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 12:00pm PST 
"What're you calling her back for ?"

Because I want to train and keep up a solid recall. Lily does not check in. She was coming back no matter what every time up till a few weeks ago. Since then, if she ever stops running, and I can catch her attention I call her and she takes her time coming back or runs up to me then runs off before getting her treat. We would play recall games like changing direction and reward for her following and catch and release. Now she won't play, she just wants to run and run and run some more.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 1:22pm PST 
Lily I understand you want a solid recall
But the more you use it, the less value it has, even if you're following up with treats. Over time those special treats won't be special, especially if she gets them a few times a day.
Recall is supposed to be like.. Surprise ice cream! Surprise dessert! Surprise going to the zoo!
If you had dessert after every meal, you wouldnt appreciate it like you do after dinner.
It is almost like, they come to you, get their treat.. and then they get to go back to what they were doing. Same old same old. Nothing too particularly exciting or interesting. It becomes less important to them because it becomes casual and often. Where if you only called them in an emergency they're like "Wow this is out of the ordinary! She never ever calls me back, something exciting must be going on!"

Maybe..
spill a handful of food on the ground (if she likes sniffind) so when you call her, its because you found something cool and exciting!
If she likes toys, put the toy or tennis ball on the ground and call her, show her what you found.. play with her, etc.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 2:05pm PST 
We don't practice recall every day and when we do it varies on how often we call her or play recall games, which is usually about 1-5 times. I also vary the reward, one treat or jackpot reward, sometimes lots of ear stratches. Pretending I found something cool on the ground or putting treats on the ground doesn't work, she ignores it, we tried that.

Edited by author Wed Jan 30, '13 2:19pm PST

[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 5:21pm PST 
IF the treats are not to die for... change the treat... something really special. Also, treats do not have to be food.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2