GO!

What could be wrong?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 4:32pm PST 
We just got back from the vet with Chewy.

He was laying down then I noticed something was up when he stood up. He usually breaths with his mouth open. This time he was quiet with jaws closed and pacing a little. I noticed he stood up and was walking with his head pushed a little forward and about even level His ears were slightly back.

When he would open his mouth to pant he would pant slow and his mouth wasn't open very much. He laid back down in the kitchen then he rolled over on his side and curled his legs under his chest, then got up a few seconds later. Then he laid down on his stomach, then got up. He kept coming over to me and looking at me like something was wrong.

I went upstairs to tell my mom and he followed me. He paced around the room then jumped on the bed, circled, and laid down. Then got up and laid down again and he had his muzzle slightly up in the air.

When I took him out in the garage and got his leash he didn't do anything. His tail barely wagged and usually when he sees his leash he gets SUPER SUPER excited. When we got to the vet he wasn't interested in the other dogs there and was foaming a little at the mouth and panting. If dogs came by he tried to sniff, but usually he's more curious.

The vet looked him over, she felt his stomach and said his heart sounded great and she wasn't sure what could be wrong. They took a full blood panel and we will have the results tomorrow.

At the vets he pooped out in the yard and started acting a bit better. Now he's home and seems fine, but he seems a bit more docile than usual. When I was feeding him he came back to life. Now he's sleeping.

The vet was also concerned about his weight loss. He's lost 13 pounds in a year. He was 109, now he's 96. But he has been on a diet with increased exercise so she wasn't that concerned.

Does anyone know what could be up? He seems better now. Right now he's sleeping, he seems to be acting calmer and more laid back than usual.

I was so scared for him and it seemed like it could have been something serious and I got so upset. Chewy is my life and he's been around since I was a little kid. I'm glad he's doing better now though. Part of me is really scared to hear the blood test results though.

Thanks for anyone opinions/suggestions.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 4:42pm PST 
Do you think he could have had a belly ache? Gas? Constipation? Does he eat things he's not suppose to?
[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 4:56pm PST 
I've been thinking any of those could have been possible. And no he's good about not eating things other than his food and treats we give him. He's also with me all the time so I don't think he got into anything and there isn't anything that he would try to eat in the backyard.

He didn't seem gassy or anything though, and he went to the bathroom last night. I didn't watch to see if he went this morning after he ate, then he went at the vet.

Edited by author Tue Jan 29, '13 4:59pm PST

[notify]

Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 9:11pm PST 
That sounds like how Lily acted in her sock/stuffed toy eating days. As long as he can eat and defecate, time will tell.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 4:03am PST 
Was he running a fever? Do you know which tests are being run with the blood work?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:56pm PST 
Sounds pretty bad. I'm glad to hear he seems to be better. Have you gotten the results for his blood tests yet?
[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 12:32am PST 
No fever, they ran a full blood panel and got the results back today. Everything looked great and all was fine. I'm really stumped. Mom is gonna call back tomorrow and talk with the vet to see what she thinks could have happened. Today he was back to his normal self so that's a good sign.
[notify]