GO!

Sad sad news, need to find rescue for dogs. Help?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:18pm PST 
Personal story made short. I'm getting a divorce, will be working a job that won't pay me enough for even a two bedroom apartment. I own a rottweiler and a pomeranian.

I need to find a rescue for them in the US. But I live in Puerto Rico. What's the problem? Well, PR's adoption rate is less than 1%. Not only that, we have more than 2k stray dogs on this island (from what it's known) and people here leave their dogs alone, chained up in the backyard with a bucket of food and water when they go out for a 2 week vacation. In other words, I won't be able to find a good home in time.

I'm willing to pay for their airline tickets, specially to breed specific rescues. (That way people know what they're getting, not a new rottie owner for example).

My research has turned up dry. Is there ANY group out there willing to help?

I'm literally crying over this as I type. I could be selfish and keep them in that apartment, feeding them whatever food I can buy, but I can't do that to them. They eat blue buffalo, they get daily walks, I'll be working all day and will never have time for them.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 3:30am PST 
I am sorrry you feel you can't keep your dogshug

I don't know about US rescues, but I found some sites in PR. If you contact them, maybe they can even help you find a way to keep your dogs. If not,maybe they can help you rehome themhug

http://www.islanddog.org/touristrescue/rescueorganization s.html

ETA take out any spaces to get the link. Also, if you click "tourist rescue" it has a list of shelters and rescues in PR.

Edited by author Wed Jan 30, '13 3:35am PST

[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 4:12am PST 
Have you tried contacting National Breed Clubs to help?
Here's the Rottweiler one: https://www.amrottclub.org/contact
Rescue contacts for Pomeranians: http://www.americanpomeranianclub.org/rescue_contacts.htm

Best of luck
[notify]

Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:24pm PST 
Thank you two, but I've managed to work out a deal with the soon to be ex. I'm going to be moving in with him (to the US) when he comes back from Korea, bring our dogs and once in the US I can find non-kill shelters to give them to. I already have their tickets saved up, and their kennels bought (before the divorce news, we were gonna move in together with them once he came home from Korea).

So at least once they touch US soil, finding a shelter will be a million times easier.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:39pm PST 
I'm very sorry for your situation but very glad you were able to work things out for the benefit of the dogs. Perhaps once you get here you will be able to find a job that allows you to be able to stay here and keep them with you,but if not at least you will have more options for them. I wish you and them the very best.
[notify]