GO!

? About kibble to raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:58pm PST 
Honestly I have spent hours looking for the answer probably looking in the wrong place. I am switching my four big dogs over. Just started on Thursday this is Tuesday. What I've been doing is t each feeding twice a day is giving half th amount of ground chicken and half the amount of kibble thy would normally get. They have had no problems but I just read not to feed them in the same meal. Can someone shed some light on why? Thanks. This Forum is awesome sorry if I'm asking a question already answered. Even a link would help.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:04pm PST 
kibble and raw meat digest at different rates and even in different parts of the body. raw meat is meant to go through the system quickly. raw meat contains a lot of water, while kibble swells inside the stomach and starches aren't digested until they reach the intestine. They are just different and so it is said not to feed them together. However many people have mixed the two with no problems and like everything else.. it's more about what your dog can handle.

but most people do switch cold turkey. it may take a couple weeks, but the digestive system will adjust from kibble to raw and you just watch the poop to make sure there's no stomach upset.

if you're ready, by all means, go ahead and have them on bone-heavy chicken without the skin, and don't worry about balancing the diet until later. Just slowly offer chicken with less and less bone until you dog is able to digest it without having runny poo. The extra bone in the beginning helps keep the poop firm during a time when they could have trouble transitioning.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:50am PST 
They are doing well I've been grinding leg quarters, probably for my sanity more than them lol, their poops are getting less, actually kinda nice. We have four big dogs a Boxer, GSD, Belgian Malnois, and Dutch shepherd. I don't want to switch them to quick as right now my husband is out to sea and they are crated while I'm at work. Just reading reading reading all I can. I'm not sure feeding all their chicken at one meal wouldn't upset their tummies. Guess like everything going to be kinda trial and error.
[notify]

Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 10:10am PST 
I am no expert but from what I have seen people that feed half kibble and half raw do so in different meals. So they would feed kibble in the morning and raw at night.
[notify]