GO!

Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:40pm PST 
wave Hi all! I don't think I've ever posted in this forum area before, but a thread up in the "Choosing A Dog" has made me curious, so I'm doing a little survey?

Do any of you Dogsters compete in any venue or sport with a rescued dog? If so, have you/ your dog earned any titles, ....what titles?

Do you know others within your sport who compete with rescue dogs? Have these teams had any significant achievements?

Thanks for sharing! blue dog

ETA: Also curious: did you select your dog with the sport/ competition in mind? Or did you discover your dog's talent after adopting him/ her?

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 7:53pm PST

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:25pm PST 
I just started doing C-WAGS Rally & Scent Detective with Sarah. I definitely did not choose her with competing in mind, I just enjoyed training and I wanted to set goals for us to reach. No titles yet, but we just started. We are halfway to our Scent Patrol (Level 1 Scent Detective) title, halfway to Rally Starter, and halfway to our Starter Games tile. My other dog is a rescue and we did therapy work together for a little while until it got too hard to keep up with the groups requirements.

I know a few people who compete more seriously than I do with their rescues, but really I am just getting in to competition, so I don't know very many people. I do have a friend who has competed on the national level several times in Disc with her rescues. Her late dog was the Skyhoundz 2005 micro dog champion, and is the IDDHA small dog world record holder for distance. She has titled several of her dogs in flyball as well.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:36pm PST 
Maggie is a rescue (not from a shelter or group, but from a private source). I got her into rally after only owning her for a little over a year and moved on to agility as well. She mainly competes for fun and is not the best agility dog but she has a blast running (although she loves rally). I do remember seeing agility once though and I wanted to do it though...I figured Aussies would be good at it lol!

I got her because she was the dog that got me interested in dogs lol, I knew I wanted a more sound dog for #2 though as Mags has physical limitations. Porter was supposed to be my next agility/obedience dog - that didn't go so well lol! I went for a dog from a breeder for #3 as the opportunity was one I couldn't pass up. I always plan to have a rescue though, I know plenty of awesome agility and obedience dogs though that are rescues (these are people that strictly have rescues as their main dogs).
[notify]

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:14am PST 
wavewave
I will be competing this year hopefully!

While working with Rigby over the past year and a bit, I've gained pretty high hopes for her as a very versatile dog.
Firstly I'd like to get her into AAC agility, as I know the venues and I'm already there with Cobain so what's another dog? laugh out loud
She is still in training at this point, but has shown great improvement.

She's also on her way to becoming a great disc and obedience or rally dog - her heelwork is incredible some days!
Maybe flyball if I can harness her speed more.

Since August she has been working with me on a demo team that has and agility portion, obedience drill, and some other fun games that she seems to love. (She's a better obedience dog that Cobain laugh out loud)

I did choose her with hopes of sports. I mean...between her build and the "Kelpie x Border Collie" listing, how could I lose? laugh out loud But really, I did not care too much. If she decided to not enjoy agility, I still had Cobain, and she could still maybe run some FEO's or maybe try something different.
[notify]
Ryladd- Makin' Trax- MX, MXJ, OF

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:35am PST 
My first agility dog was a rescue. I got my first Sheltie from the SPCA. He was 2 years old and was given up because he kept jumping their fence. One day I was watching Animal Planet and saw a competition and thought it looked like fun, so I called the number they listed and they refered me to the trainer I've been working with ever since. That was 13 years ago. Smokey was 1 qualifying score away from his Master Excellent Standard title when he lost his hearing due to a reaction from anesthesia. He wasn't the fastest agility dog out there, but he loved the sport.

I believe agility or any sport helps strengthen the bond with your dog and with a rescue it can be quite the valuable thing to have.
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:53am PST 
My very, very first obedience dog, way back in 1972, was a rescue Labrador and was shown in AKC obedience with an ILP number. She started training at 7 years and worked thru her CDX, but age prevented her from getting the UD.
Beanie was my last obedience dog, and is also a rescue and has an ILP listing. He titled at poodle specialities and still goes back FEO when I go to them.
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:34am PST 
cheerhappy dancesnoopy Thank you all for telling me about your rescue pups! These stories are so amazing and making my heart go all a-flutter!! I'm so impressed!!! Also, thanks to all of you for keeping it all in terms I can understand - as someone that doesn't do any competition or sports, it could go over my head if you used too much of the jargon of your respective fields!

I'm really floored and so impressed with what you all have done with your rescue dogs!!! Keep the stories coming - anyone out there!!
blue dog
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:52am PST 
Yerp.

Zephyr is my trialling dog and a rescue. She competes under a PAL number in AKC and she has something else in UKC but I can't remember the terminology. Life commitments outside of dog sports (Yeah what are those?) has kept me from trialling her much. She's a class from her URO2 in UKC Rally (Like Advanced Rally in the AKC, off-leash all that) and has a leg towards her UCD (Novice title).

She's got her Herding Instinct certificate and if I get off my butt In March there's a trial where she'll put in her AKC OB debut in Novice and WC Open (Wildcard classes are where you can deliberately not include an exercise in your score and there is limited praise allowed. It's a good pre-class) just because I don't know how she'll handle the retrieve in a new ring.

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 8:53am PST

[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:57am PST 
I started competing in Rally because of Asher. And I saw a lot of rescued dogs in APDT Rally. Some hosts even give special awards to rescued dogs.

Asher himself made National Rankings 3 times.

And I will continue to compete with my NEW rescue in C-WAGS Rally and probably in Cynosport Rally too (and aim to start him out in C-WAGS Obedience and some Agility venue, probably CPE.

Do you plan to compete with Duncan sometime soon? You should try it.
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:19am PST 
Zephyr, I was thinking of you when I wrote this - I thought you competed with her! Wow, she's versatile!

Asher, I had been thinking of you too, knowing you took rescue dogs to high level competitions! That's so cool!

To answer your question, Duncan himself is an angel now. But he was a certified therapy dog, though that's not competitive. Of my current pack, I think Sally my rescued spoo might have potential for agility or many other sports. But then again, what do I know - I sort of wish someone in a sport would meet her and tell me what they thought. Anyway, sadly, I won't be the one to do it with her and explore her potential - not enough time (life outside of dogs!), not the inclination (I'm not much of a trainer, and neither am I a competitive person by nature).

I am content to sit back and admire those of you who do compete with your dogs!!! cheer I keep reading all these posts over and over again! Just. so. impressed!!!
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9