GO!

Full-time job and Puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:14am PST 
I was recently offered a full-time job (yesterday), and my husband already works full-time, and we're getting Kimiko today. For all of you full-time workers, do you have any advice for us as to what to do with a 9 week old Shiba Inu? I've heard that really you shouldn't leave your puppy in a kennel for more than 3 hours (your puppy's age plus one), and if you're gone for a long period of time that you should gate a certain area of your house off and let them stay in there while you're gone. Who does doggy daycare? Anyone do pet sitters etc?

My problem; I don't trust anyone to care for my dog the way I do.
[notify]
Fancy

Fancy& Rambo- Chinese Crested- Littermates

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 4:24pm PST 
I started crating my puppies the third night after I brought them home at 8 weeks. They stay in from 10 at night until 5 in the morning and have only had an accident the first night. On the occasion hubby and I are working the same shift (like last week) they stayed in their crate from 5:45 till 3:30, again no accidents. Of course I could be a bad doggy mom thinking

I don't know if it's because they are so small, 3 pound Chinese Cresteds. Good luck in whatever you decide. Do you need/want the job? If you don't want to crate for too long do you have a bathroom or small room you can use?

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 4:28pm PST

[notify]
Piglet

I'm a princess

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:15pm PST 
We were crated for a few days and then got a fence to go along with the crate. Then the space kept getting bigger and bigger until the house was ours laugh out loud
[notify]

Mischa

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 12:34pm PST 
We just got an 8 week old Dalmatian puppy last weekend. We crate her at night (which will eventually go away once she's potty trained) and let her out when she stirs and needs to go outside. My fiance wakes up around 5 lets her out and lets her play and run while he gets ready. He puts her in bed with me when he leaves until I wake up around 6:45. I'll feed her play with her and let her out before crating her again when I leave for work around 7:30. Once she's older, its warmer, and she's a bit better on her leash we'll be going for walks.

So far she's done great at not having accidents throughout the day. I think only one. And none at night. She doesn't love the crate yet, whines a lot still. But I'm hoping that will get better. And after she's fully potty trained we plan on letting her stay out at night. She's great at sleeping in her doggy bed but we just don't want her to get up and go do her business in a corner somewhere and us not know.

There's a lady who has a dog sitting service in our neighborhood that we use. She stops by around lunch time and lets her out, feeds her, and plays with her.My fiance gets home around 4:30 when he's not working OT otherwise I get home a little after 5.

It was scary finding someone we trusted. I didn't want to place an ad for just any individual to come into our home. But she has been doing it for several years and does it for a living and is very professional. I recommend http://www.petsit.com/locate/ or www.care.com. The 2nd website is more individuals like college students and such but you can screen them and some even have background checks done. We found ours through our HOA Classifieds.
[notify]
Sir Snicker- Doodle

Snickers -- The Cutest- Little Moppet

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 9:26am PST 
Both my boyfriend and I work full time and we just got Snickers yesterday. Fortunately, I go in a little later so I will be responsible for puppy in the mornings. We are going to block him in the bathroom (It's small and the only floor that has tile in case of accidents) and I am coming home on my lunch breaks to check on him and take him out. My bf's mom has said she would puppy-sit during the day while we're gone but we're still trying to figure it out. I am hoping it works out... but feel free to add us if you'd like and we can figure it out together!

big hug
[notify]