GO!

Interesting Results of Highest/Lowest Ranked Pet Ownership States

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 11:15pm PST 
For interest and possible discussion smile

LINKY
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:33am PST 
That is interesting.

Living in Illinois, I can't imagine what other states must look like if Illinois has some of the lower numbers of dog owners!

Although, you do see a lot of southern states on the top of the list, which isn't there a bit of a mass population of dogs down there?

You do not see Hawaii or Alaska, which I thought would have made one of the lists.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:05am PST 
California's ranking surprised me. I thought they'd be in the top ten of dog ownership.
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:24am PST 
I was pleasantly surprised to see Vermont at the top -- but there sure are a lot of nice doggies here! I wonder if they counted my sheep as pets! laugh out loud

Rhode Island and a couple other states need to get a move on!
[notify]
Tatonka

Walk until your- paws drop off

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:27am PST 
No surprise Maine is on the top ten list- I live up here and see lots of hunting dogs, especially all those lovely beagles big grin
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:05am PST 
RI is LOWEST! big laugh Nothing like trying to run a rescue in the lowest state in the land shrug I am moving to Vermont! Less hostile there, at any rate confused

I showed this list to Duncan, me seeing an irony in the southern states ranking so high, the supposed "wonder states" so low. She did make some comment about weather, and bigger land tracts in the south, which makes sense. Although it is isn't a consistent sense. I find it all very surprising.

I do agree, more hunting = more dogs. That I have noticed. And nicer weather makes dog getting far less of a pain. I summered in the Adirondacks, which is beautiful and very expansive in terms of land, but most hunting there is for things like deer, far from hound dog country, the winters are wintery to say the least. The dog population there, it struck me as a kid, was really low. I lived in NC, hunting dawg country, and EVERYONE had bunches o' dogs laugh out loud And in NYC, too.

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 11:07am PST

[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 4:00pm PST 
Tiller, you're looking at it wrong. You live in a state that suffers from a widespread curse of petlessness, which you can help to alleviate. laugh out loud

OTOH, Vermont IS a nice state, so don't let me discourage you!

Really, it makes total sense that an area of the country where the climate is much milder, spay/neuter is less common, lots of people hunt and have hunting dogs--often more than one, and the belief that Fluffy and Tuffy can help pay for their own keep by producing puppies on a regular basis is relatively widespread, would have a higher per capita number of pets and a larger percentage of homes with pets.
[notify]
Graham

Part angel, part- devil, all dog

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:55pm PST 
Interesting study. I live in Colorado and am surprised by the results. I've been thinking about it and I only know 2 families here who do not have dogs. On our block there is only one house that doesn't have a dog (it's a rental and I don't think they're allowed) and most of us have more than one. Hmmm.thinking
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 12:00am PST 
I'm surprised Texas isn't on all the top 10 lists...you can't go anywhere without there being a dog there.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 4:37am PST 
"States with the fewest cat owners (percentage of households that owned a cat):
[...]
5. Florida: 27.3%
6. Georgia: 27.3%"

Hm, there must be an incredible amount of cats, then. I see tons of them around here. (Live in Georgia, not too far from the Floridea border.) You can look in the classified ads in the paper and see multiple ads about kittens at any given time.
Over the years, there have been lots of strays living outside my house. Some of them obviously used to humans, but most were feral.

Edited by author Sat Jan 26, '13 4:47am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2