GO!

What to feed a pup with diarrhea?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sun

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:47pm PST 
My 5 month border collie has been through three different foods so far - Iams, Pedigree, and currently on Taste of the Wild. His poop has been going from loose to pure liquid and then gets solid for a day or two before the diarrhea returns. He's had a negative fecal test, but was de-wormed anyway and also given anti diarrhea meds, but so far we haven't been able to target the cause, and the diarrhea still continues.

He is almost finished with the bag of Taste of the Wild and I'm ready to get him more food, but should I switch to something else again? Is there a certain brand that is easiest on the tummy that I could try?

I'm getting desperate to figure out what is wrong with my pup.
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:53pm PST 
Just me, but I'd try some canned pumpkin mixed with rice or rice mixed with cottage cheese and egg. I'd continue that until the stools firm up, then slowly introduce some grain free food, like Wellness kibble. I hope your pup feels better really soon!! wave I'm sorry, but I have to ask if your pup has been wormed? Even if he has been, loose kitties sometimes make "deposits" in the back yard and those get gobbled up...ick, I know but pups will be pups...I wish you the very best!wishes

Edited by author Thu Jan 17, '13 7:55pm PST

[notify]
Sun

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:03pm PST 
Oh I forgot to say that he's had the pumpkin as well. It helped a little but didn't correct the problem altogether.
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:05am PST 
Try not to switch it up too much....3 different foods for a 5 month old puppy is a lot. I know Iams and Pedigree aren't the best. Taste of the Wild is a good food.

How much pumpkin are you giving him? It's pure pumpkin right? not the pumpkin filling for pies? It should be around a tablespoon added to his food.

I would try that first. If that doesn't work, perhaps look for a food that may be higher in fiber. Blue Buffalos grain free puppy food is a little higher in fiber and so is wellness core puppy formula. If he does have some sensitivity to food, grain free would be the best way to start (taste of the wild is grain free).

good luck to you and remember to give each food time (at least a month or two) to see if you see improvement. way to go
[notify]
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:28am PST 
I recently found this video, its very helpful. I love Dr Becker! Hope it helps!
Dr Karen Becker on diarrhea

Something that has helped my dogs is a product called Fruitables. They make a pumpkin with ginger for digestive upset and now they have a new product called Switch made especially for helping to switch foods.

Good Luck!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:22am PST 
My children's pediatrician taught me to slow down if there is an upset tummy. Fast for 12-24 hours offering clear liquids in small amounts often. That lets the gut have a break without risk of dehydration. Then offer small amounts of a bland low fat food as often as you can. I used boiled chicken breast and over cooked rice but you might want to try a starch and meat your pup hasn't had before but keep the meat lean. 1 part meat to 3 parts starch might be a good spot. If the loose stool is gone then increase 'meal' size and decrease feeding until eating at a normal interval then add a single kibble. My dogs were thrilled to get back to normal food as the bland is so low fat it doesn't satisfy as well as normal fat kibble. Sassy needed pumpkin to complete the process but Max never has.

If your pup is having stools at normal enough intervals but it is always soft then perhaps you are overfeeding. Try cutting back on the feed by 25% for a day. If that works it works right away, quite amazing. If it improves then try for a couple more days and cut back more if you see that this is the way to go. If you know your pup is much too thin on such short rations then try feeding more often rather than larger meals. BC are very lean dogs, all of the young BCs I see look more like sight hounds than not.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 11:10pm PST 
What exactly did your vet say about your pup's condition aside from him being given anti-diarrhea meds?

If your pup hasn't been responding to pumpkin, then how about trying plain yogurt? It helps the digestive system and may get it working correctly for your puppy. Try giving a serving (one 6 oz. container) each day to see if that helps firm up your puppy's soft stool. You can add some chicken broth or crushed up puppy treats to encourage him to eat it.

And don't forget to continue giving water to your puppy. You wouldn't want him to get dehydrated from having diarrhea.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 11:58pm PST 
I would be careful when adding yogurt. Not all dogs can tolerate dairy.

1 tablespoon of yogurt is enough to give Chance yogurt farts. 2 tablespoons gives her loose poop.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:28am PST 
What worked for Squam was adding a probiotic to his food. I use Prozyme. It really helped firm up his stool. Like you, he had constant issues with diarrhea. I tried pumpkin, yogurt, feeding less food..nothing helped. Within 2 weeks of the probiotic his stools firmed up nicely...& bonus..no more farts!laugh out loud
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 5:40am PST 
One of the biggest issues with puppies and diarrhea is that they are being fed too much food. Remember, his is a baby! I would suggest four SMALL meals a day and see how that goes. IF it works, then very, very gradually increase the amount until you find what works.
Quincy gets 2 cups of Earthborn three times a day...if I mistakenly give him 2 1/2 cups he will get really soupy almost immediately! Same thing will happen if I feed him 3 cups twice a day.
It's hard to judge by looks with a bigger puppy like yours... they SHOULD be lean at this age. There is plenty of time to fill out when they are done growing.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2