GO!

I rescued a 3 yr old male Sibeian Husky and he continues to make a routine out of urinating

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Wilkey

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:41am PST 
My dog keeps urinating in a particular room in the house and I'm not sure if I can or how to or where to start on correcting this behavior. I've read that you don't negatively discipline huskies however today I did stick his nose in it and confined him to an upstairs bathroom for a little while. I'm assuming this is not the best way to go about this but it's not like potty training a puppy. I'm pretty sure the people that lived in the house prior to us have dogs but that was quite sometime ago. My dog Wilkey seems to do this after he's already been taken outside in the morning and it seems like its starting to become routine. This is a very very large room and we would run back and forth and play in this room and now I'm associating it with "bad dog" behavior. I printed a commercial carpet cleaner and again he does in there and pees right where I cleaned it up from the last couple times. He gets plenty of play and exercise it's not really an area I can put up a baby gate in either, very large entry way! Any suggestions??
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 9:19am PST 
Please do not stick his nose in his mess, that doesn't teach him anything other than humans are weird. Treat him like a new puppy and take him out every half hour to an hour then slowly build up the time between potty breaks if you need to. Do you go out with him to make sure he is going potty or do you just let him out? Make sure he is actually going before you bring him back in. Try keeping him out longer if need be, sometimes male dogs have a little left in the tank for marking so if he just peed he may still need to go more. Be sure to supervise him to help prevent accidents and to learn when he probably has to go. If you can't supervise him, put him somewhere that you know he won't potty, like a small room or a crate if he is crate trained. Dogs often potty in the same spot because they can smell where they or other dogs went, so be sure to clean up any accidents with an enzymatic pet odor remover or or can use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. If he is only going in that one spot, some how, block off his access to that area and most of the house until he is nore reliable with housetraining. Also, has he been to the vet to rule out any medical reasons for house soiling?

Edited by author Wed Jan 16, '13 9:36am PST

[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:45am PST 
Not sure what you mean by commercial carpet cleaner, but MANY carpet cleaners are not good for urine. They either intensify it or just spread it around, so I second getting a cleaner actually designed for getting rid of urine.

Any way you can block that area off? If the dog is good inside other than that one spot, I'd find a way to keep him from reaching that spot and then keep it that way for a month or 2 to break the habit, in addition to cleaning it.

Corrections, if used, only "work" if caught in the moment, so any events after the fact have no connection to it. I put work in quotes because there's a lot of different aspects to it, but in terms of urinating, don't bother punishing if you didn't catch him as he won't associate the punishment with the crime.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 6:04am PST 
I have to agree with Lily on this one,although your Husky is an adult,you do treat potty training just like you would with a new puppy. Taking them out frequently and making sure they are actually going rather than just playing before coming back in is essential. So is cleaning up any accidents with an enzyme cleaner right when they happen and restricting them from free run of the house until they are reliable about not soiling in the house. I know it is difficult but try to be patient and realize he may be an adult but just like a puppy he does not understand yet what it is you want from him.
[notify]
Alice

Woo!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:45pm PST 
I definitely agree that going back to potty training basics will help. He's in a new home, and he's still learning what to expect from you. When you are in the house, tether him to you with a long leash so you can keep and eye on him. When you can't keep an eye on him, crate him. If he isn't neutered, you might consider that as well to cut down on the marking behavior.

Using an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle will also help clean up the urine so he can't smell it and keep going in that one spot. You can order large jugs of it off Amazon smile

Good luck! Huskies can be weird sometimes about the potty business.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 3:14pm PST 
Good advice, when you stuck his nose in his mess all you accomplished was to show him humans are weird and do cruel things for no reason. Dogs don't generalize well. Just because he knows not to pee in a particular room, doesn't mean he knows not to pee in the house.

Basically keep him close, watch him, take him our often and praise like mad,pet give treats...whatever makes him happy when he goes outside. If you catch him peeing inside, you can say "no" or "stop" but don't scold or scare him or you will just teach him that it isn't safe to pee in front of a person. rush him out and when he pees outside praise.

Don't be fooled by him looking guilty when he has peed and you are angry, he is just picking up on your anger and hoping to appease you.

Huskies are wonderful dogs, but they don't respond well to abusive training methods (which shouldn't be used on any dog anyway)
[notify]