GO!

Pedigree Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Cricket

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 8:33pm PST 
For as long as I've had my dog I have given her Pedigree dog food. There are a lot of people in this town that are really against it. Ol' Roy is the biggest seller in this town. I personally would never give my dog Ol' Roy.

Anyone else use Pedigree dog food? If no, why not?
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 9:28pm PST 
I would not feed it.

There's not a big difference in quality between Pedigree and regular Ol' Roy. I would never feed either one. There is a different formula of Ol' Roy called Pure Balance. It is hella better than Pedigree. I have fed Pure Balance. Pedigree may be a little better than Ol Roy because it does not have menadione. Both foods are mostly corn, use by-products and contain unspecified animal ingredients. They also use artificial colors so the food looks more appealing to people. I don't think artificial colors should be in anything.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 9:30pm PST 
No. I do not feed Purina smile Why not? I'm not allowed to say..according to community guidelines. I feed Acana...from Champion foods. It is a grain free, high protein food that is truly among the best of kibbles. Purina uses fillers like corn, wheat, sawdust..oops cellulose, & very little meat....if any. laugh out loud
Purina is one teeny step above Ol Roy, though. laugh out loud
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 9:49pm PST 
I refuse to feed grocery store brands(Purina, Pedigree, Beneful, Ol' Roy, etc). Ever. Why? My dog is epileptic and grocery store brands are packed with preservatives, chemicals, dyes, etc. They trigger his seizures to not only happen more frequently, but to happen more severely as well. I'm talking: on Acana and rescue remedy he has a seizure MAYBE once every three months, if that. On any grocery store brand, he has them monthly, up to three times a month - even with the rescue remedy. By default, I won't feed them to my other dogs either. I also feed Acana when I can't afford raw.

Edited by author Sat Jan 12, '13 9:50pm PST

[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 10:00pm PST 
I agree with the above posters. I would NEVER feed any grocery store foods. Rain, I just switched to Acana Pacifica today (before that she was eating Solid Gold Wolfcub) and my Chihuahua is on a rotation of orijen and Acana (both Champion foods)

To me, foods like Pedigree would be like me eating a whole box of twinkies....or worse..just icky silenced There are a lot better foods that aren't /that/ expensive but are definitely a million times better than pedigree
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 5:14am PST 
when I switched Dylan off pedigree, he stopped having seizures. just saying....
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:43am PST 
I would feed my dog table scraps before feeding anything from grocery store. If you're looking for something decent quality and affordable check fromm classics, its around $37 for 33 lb bag, much better quality ingredients, no recalls.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:43am PST 
you can read the review on it here:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/pedigree-dog -food-dry/
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:22am PST 
I would never feed pedigree food. Read the ingredients, Corn, by products, unnamed fat.....We are a little short of $$$ right now and feed Diamond Naturals. (lamb and Rice, Beef and Rice, Chicken and Rice)It is grain heavy but has no corn, no soy, no byproducts, and no unnamed meat or fat)
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:29am PST 
Pedigree has some pluses. It is affordable, readily available and palatable for most dogs. Many rescue dogs have a difficult time with the rich, high protein foods that 'we' prefer. It also serves well for dogs that are having stomach issues. And it is not the eqivalant of Ol'Roy!
Pedigree has a good track record with quality control and voluntary recalls.
Contrary to public opinion I have raised and housed hundreds of dogs on it with no health issues. My dogs did not have loose stool, greasy coats, eye goop or any of the other common complaints. In fact many have lived a good deal longer then they were supposed to.
I will admit though that in my case kibble is highly supplemented with meat and veggies as well as joint and vitamin supplements so my dogs diet is only about 1/3 kibble.
When I switched to First Mate it was in response to the fact that 2 of my dogs have food allergies(Shadow and Sabi), 2 are seniors(Sabi and Buddy) and although they were all healthy I wanted to see if I could make them healthier. I gotta tell you, not much difference for 3 times the price. But Shadow holds weight better and her allergies are easier to control. And Sabi is maintaining a healthy weight easier.
I still feed it to all the fosters. And I get pretty upset with people who think only people with money should own dogs. A good majority of loved family pets live with people who are one paycheck from the poorhouse. Feed your dog whatever you need to, educate yourself and don't worry about what others think.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5