GO!

Breeder help!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Hiroshi- &Tony

cats are- friends, not- food.

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 8:15pm PST 
In two years hopefully,my mom and I plan to give my dad an akita puppy for his 50th birthday. The first dog he bonded with as an adult was an akita, he died last year and my dad was really devastated and since then he's been in love with the breed. There are not alot of quality breeders in this country (Colombia) so I guess the breeder would need to be willing to ship the puppy, or we would have to make a trip to the states to pick it up, which we are willing to do. The most convenient location would be arround or in North Carolina, because we go to Raleigh ocasionally and have friends there. Any breeder recomendations? None of us have ever had a dog from a breeder before, and I know that with a breed like akitas, a breeder needs to be selected especially well because of the temperament issues that can crop up. Any tips, advice? Also how willing are breeders usually to sell a dog to someone overseas, because I'm worried that might be an issue. Any help is welcome dog
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 9:45pm PST 
Many breeders ARE willing to sell and ship a dog overseas. However, keep in mind that many WILL NOT send a dog to a home to be a 'gift' to someone. Does he know about this 'gift' or not?
[notify]
Hiroshi- &Tony

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 5:47pm PST 
well its intended to be a surprise, but he is a grown man and has wanted another akita ever since Hiroshi died and we're planning this 2 years beforehand, so its not like an impulse christmas gift for a little kid or something. He and my mom would be the caretakers and she's the one planning the surprise , so the whole family's on board with it. I hope its not an issue.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 10:08pm PST 
While I think you have good intentions..
I think you should let him know.
What if he happens to go out and surprise you guys with a puppy, after you've put a deposit down on his ? What if financial situations change?

While his favorite dog was an Akita-- each dog is different. My dad has two Akitas, who are polar opposites. One is a grump and is slow, doesn't play, is stubborn. The other is bossy, gets into everything and is somewhat biddable but acts before he thinks.

His two are about 9 years old, and while he loves dogs, he won't be getting another when they have passed. Why ? He has other plans. He wants to retire and go backpacking and traveling for a few years.. Then maybe he'll get another. Point is, a dog is a big responsibility and can limit certain activities. For example, I would never board Nare so I could go to Hawaii for a week. Some people might do it, but I wouldn't. I don't get home from school/work and get to hang out, I have to walk them, brush them, feed them, etc. I feel guilty when they can't go places, so I usually only go to stores they're allowed in or where theres a park nearby so I can get them out.

You must also know if you want an American Akita or Japanese Akita.

Try heading over to http://www.nihonken.org/forum/
Theres some breeders that frequent that forum that might be able to help point you in the right direction.
[notify]
Hiroshi- &Tony

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 4:58pm PST 
you brought up some good points nare , expecially about the lifestyle changes. thanks. and i will check out the forum smile
[notify]