GO!

Lots of allergies = too expensive // PLEASE help with options // he's suffering

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:45am PST 
Baby is allergic to chicken (yes even raw) and I was horrified by his reaction to raw chicken. I'm wary of beef, I've started the raw on him two days ago and he's eating beef, his itching has gotten worse. I'm certain he's allergic to grains but not entirely.

I just bought him 4lbs of meats he's never been exposed to before at an independent butcher. The price nearly made me drop dead. I talked to the guy about some sort of deal and he's gonna talk to his provider to see what he can do. But my wallet's future is not looking good.

Baby is miserable, always itching, biting at his paws, the fur around his eyes is starting to fall out because he's always scratching at them. It brings me to tears thinking about him suffering every day but I'll be paying more for his month's worth of food than I will rent. And my job does not bring in enough money for that.

So, what are my options? Any kibble for allergies? Like blue buffalo freedom? Timberwolf's elk? Don't those have grains in them too? Maybe his allergies would improve just a little at least on them? I'll give him omega 3 every day to help with the inflammation and his coat.

Should I go to like dominicks? They have prepackaged buffalo I believe, maybe I can work a deal to take the meats he'd throw off the shelf because they're expiring? That's still gonna be very expensive though probably a lot less I believe.

Or do you know any cheap providers that ship? Baby needs like 12.6lbs of food every week. I just want him to be happy and healthy. But I need options.

How much do you all spend a week or a month? How do you feed your dog and still afford to live?

Edit to add:
He's also allergic to eggs, another scary experience. So his foods can't contain those.

Edited by author Fri Jan 11, '13 10:12am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:33am PST 
I've found a lot of people with allergy ridden dogs tend to get Natural Balance L.I.D foods at our shop. It's Limited Ingredient Diets. Basically, there's ONE protein source per each food type. So.. say, the Potato and Rabbit formula - it only has rabbit in it. Some types of Acana may work if they don't have chicken or egg - perhaps their line of Pacifica? Some Wellness might work too. I believe that Blue Buffalo Freedom lines have chicken in all of them though. What about ground pre-made raw? I know I can get ground raw in various meats such as Alpaca, Bison, Rabbit, Elk, Deer, etc to avoid poultry and beef specifically and you can get it grain-free as well, with bone and organs in it already. I find it's cheaper than butchers usually too.

Other raw feeders may have better advice though. Good luck. Poor Baby. frown
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:55am PST 
I would actually feed that prescription hydrolyzed protein food for the suggested period of time. If his itchies clear up then you know it is food allergy and you can move on from there. If they don't clear up then there are environmental allergies as well and you might consider medicating him if you have tried the usual clean the house, get rid of fleas and bathing him gently and often. Lots more you can do I am sure!

If you keep on bouncing from protein to protein you will run out of easily sourced meats. He will develop new sensitivities instantly since he is currently in crisis. Sometimes things will cool down feeding a meat that suits but you cannot count on that.

Raw is the best way to feed allergic dogs. It is high in fat which has to help skin health since skin is a fatty organ. You can fairly easily feed meat, bone and organ from a single animal and supplement with minerals if the best meat source is low in any minerals.

You may pay more for the food but think what you are saving. A single dental costs many hundreds of dollars here and Max's food costs about $20-40 a month. I feed him raw for a couple years for the cost of a single dental. Think how much vet visits cost and add part of that to the amount you are willing to spend for food. Granted if you are stuck feeding ostrich or beaver you may be spending a lot more!
[notify]

Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:57am PST 
Awww poor Baby! He sounds miserable! Hula is allergic to all grains and chicken - and a she's had a slight reaction to turkey. Her meals consist of beef heart, pork and pork heart, sometimes lamb if I can find it cheap, and rabbit for her boney meals. I have an International market near me that has all kinds of good stuff. I pay $7 for a 7lb beef heart, $3.50 for 3 pork hearts, $7 per rabbit, $1.50 for a beef kidney, $3.50 for pork kidneys (there are about 6 to a package) and I recently got her a lamb head as a treat for $3. She only gets 10 oz. a day so she's a pretty cheap keeper. She also gets Salmon oil. What kind of reaction did baby have to chicken? Was the meat enhanced with sodium?
Also, check with any local butchers or meat processors about getting meat. I tell them my dog has allergies and is on a homemade diet and they think that it's awesome I feed raw meat.
[notify]
JessAnneMari- eLouise

A gentle girl

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 3:26pm PST 
HI there....I've got an allergic dog as well. We are doing reasonably well on mostly rabbit and hare. It really does make a difference. I know it can be expensive, but to follow up on what Max said: before we started raw, I easily spent 1-2 thousand a year on vet bills. We were ALWAYS at the vet and she was always on meds. We were considering a $4000 surgery to remove her badly infected ears since we couldnt clean them up. Then some brilliant Vet FINALLY suggested it was a food allergy. Dont know why it took so long to figure that out. So I may pay more for food for her, but I'm way better off in the long run.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 3:42pm PST 
Maxwell has some really good ideassmile When you are ready to try new foods, how about lamb and rice? That is what I had Bunny on when I first realized he had food intolerance's. He is on grain free now, but it has quite a few ingredients in itthinking
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 3:58pm PST 
I'm not a raw feeder, but I DO have an allergic (we think, anyway - still working on it) dog and I know how frustrating it is. It is hard to know if a dog is allergic/intolerant of food, environmental or contact allergens, or what.

As to food, have you thought about Sojos or Honest Kitchen? Unfortunately, many of their foods contain chicken, but some don't, so it may be worth looking into them. They don't seem too outrageously expensive. As to the kibbles available, yes, there are a bunch of them targeted toward allergic dogs, but so far I haven't found the magic one for Joey - if he actually has food allergies at all.

There's a yahoo group called Canine Allergy Solutions or something like that. A couple people on there feed raw, and know of a few good sources for raw meats. Maybe you could ask on that group.

Of course, going to a derm vet for a consultation is not cheap, but some people do that.
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:17pm PST 
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the advice and support. How do you feel about Nature's Variety Instinct?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:49pm PST 
Instinct is a good food. It's what i feed jake when I'm to lazy or tied to crack out the raw meat. But if he's got a protein allergy I suggest you figure out which proteins he's allergic too before you buy any more raw meat. I was lucky that jake is only allergic to pork and all dog food fillers (corn, soy, wheat). Jake usually eats whatever i have left over from dinner and then his usual chicken quarters and beef liver. But get his allergies to protein cleared up before you pick up anything else. Maxwell left you a pretty good ideas.

I hope Baby is doing better.
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:03pm PST 
Healthy pets.mercola.com is a website that contains a variety of videos and articles by a holistic vet (the videos are also on you-tube). She does sell products, but I didn't find it pushed in the videos that much. I've gotten several things I want to try in regards to allergies. Also--she strongly advocates raw feeding.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2